Old January 21st 18, 03:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default AG: Winter training

At New Year's my goal was to get strong enough to ride to Spring Creek
while it is still cold enough to carry cheese etc. without also
carrying ice.

I got a good start on the tenth of January, when a notice from the
library caused me to extend the first clear-roads day from two miles
to six.

Little did I know that it would be today before I could return that
seven-day book! (It was on its last renewal.)

The next day I noted that we could get the Versa out of the driveway,
but said "eh, we've got plenty of food". It's a good thing we did!
The following day my goal became "get strong enough to drive the car
to the grocery store"

Today I met that goal. Spent $112.

And I'm feeling vindicated. In New York, every time it snowed, the
scanner filled up with people on snowmobiles carrying necessities to
snowbound people almost before the snow stopped falling, and every
time I would sniff in unsympathetic disdain. "I'd feel embarrassed",
I said, "If I woke up to six feet of snow on a day I'd meant to do a
major shopping, and it took less than a week for my menus to get
wonky."

Well, it's been ten days since I should have done a major shopping,
and my menus have not gotten wonky. (Disclaimer: I'd stocked up on
milk on the way home from the book run.)

We are down to three kinds of cough drops (still; the grocery where I
went does not sell them), we were very, very low on meals that I can
shove into the oven and stagger back to bed, and I was down to fruit
cocktail, frozen dark sweet cherries, and canned pineapple for the
fruit bowl. But none of those packages have been opened.

A foam bowl half-full of half-frozen fruit chunks in the fridge is
very good for sick people. You will snitch a chunk of pineapple when
you wouldn't dream of peeling an orange.

And the only "prepper" thing I do is to keep a couple of cans of
evaporated milk in the house. That and keep at least half a dozen
boxes of nose tissue in the pantry, and a lunch-meat box of bags of
cough drops in the freezer. I'm always saying "if you need cough
drops, you don't feel like shopping", and oh, 'tis true, 'tis true.

I just hope I didn't pick up a *third* virus on this trip. I think
that there are supposed to be only two that my shots won't stop.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net