Old July 22nd 04, 05:32 AM
bentbrian

Default Slow leak--arrrrrgh!

Luigi de Guzman Wrote:
So my front tire went flat again, due to a slow leak

I had thought that I'd fixed the puncture in question, but, no, a
corner of the patch hadn't stuck onto the tube properly, so was
causing a slow leak.

I'm just annoyed as all hell, because now since it's *badly* patched,
the leak is irreparable--the bits of the patch that I stuck on
CORRECTLY went on when they were supposed to, and can't be torn free
from the tube for love or money.

Ugh. You live, you learn.

-Luigi

Carry a spare tube. It is cheap insurance. If you mess up patching one
you still have a spare. I've had problems of developing slow leaks in
the tubes on my old Trek road bike (aluminum rims and presta valves).
The leak starts where the valve stem passes through the rim. I've
de-burred the rim holes. The only fix I've been able to come up with is
cutting a hole in a patch and placing the patch over the valve stem
before I put the stem through the hole in the rim. I leave the outside
lock nut on the valve stem loose. So far no more problems. The rims on
my 'bent are slightly different (still aluminum rims and presta
valves), the valve stem hole is nicely machined and the valve stem fits
like a glove. I've also had the presta valves leak a little even when
the valve mechanism locking nut is tightened down (so far not on the
'bent though).

'bent Brian

--
bentbrian