Old June 4th 06, 04:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default a traffic dilemma

"Veloise" wrote in message
ups.com...
recycled-one wrote:
Finally got to see your nice illustration!

http://www.geocities.com/siklelogical/stone.scott.bmp

Do you stay in the center lane? [blue arrows] Or transit to the curb
lane
[red arrows] and then back to the center lane for the second left turn?

If it depends on how far the second left is, then how far is that?

Stay blue. KFC is a fairly narrow frontage, and for all the overtaking
motorist knows, you could be turning there (although it seems very
close to the intersection). Lane position should tell them everything
they need to know, and if they don't get it, stick an arm out.

Actually I've compressed it a bit. The KFC frontage is unusually large and
the library is really the third plaza entrance with a narrow frontage low
rise office entrance between the KFC and library plaza - if that makes any
sense. I'd estimate 250 meters tops from the intersection to the library.

Gonna have to edit the map.

(I sometimes offer an abbreviated signal of a finger point; it's just
for those who need to see it.)

Now, if you were going from the distance of KFC + library times 2 or
more, it might be worth turning into the curb lave space, then moving
over. Depends on the amount of traffic and how crazy things are at the
intersection.

I'm thinking I'll stay in the center. Though when not making another quick
left I will still make my turn into the curb lane in one movement.