Old September 22nd 17, 05:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_2_]

Default Lobbying by cyclists may yet have an impact on the HTA

On 22/09/2017 11:54 AM, AMuzi wrote:
On 9/22/2017 9:21 AM, Duane wrote:
On 22/09/2017 9:47 AM, wrote:
Legislation to beef up penalties under the Highway Traffic
Act is to be proposed in Ontario:
http://cyclingmagazine.ca/advocacy/o...bodily-injury/.

We'll see if it has any effect other than to produce
tombstone reactions.
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO

This has been in the news in Montreal.Â* I'm not sure this is
going anywhere.Â* Even if it's implemented it would need to
be applied.Â* Quebec recently raised some of the fines for
motorists injuring cyclists.Â* For example, the fine for
dooring a cyclist went from $30 to #300.Â* Last year a woman
opened a door and injured a cyclist.Â* He was not only
injured but his bike was destroyed.Â* The cops didn't ticket
her.Â* I wrote to the police department complaining about
this and they replied that it's up to the discretion of the
officer on the scene.

Not only does this woman get off with no fine whatsoever,
but as a result of the driver not being ticketed, the
cyclist, who is a bike messenger, can't get his bike
repaired by the driver's liability insurance. He has to go
to small claims court to have his bike repaired.

I asked the police how this could be a question of the
officer's discretion but they replied that that was a
decision made by the officer on the scene and they would not
discuss this except with the persons involved.

So sure, it's a good thing to pass these laws.Â* Maybe the
press will make people think more but unless they're
actually implemented the result will be minimal.

Besides which, despite years of data showing no effective difference,
people continue to claim 'hands free' vs 'thumbs on' matters.
http://www.channel3000.com/news/poli...ving/624705250

for further inquiry:
https://archive.unews.utah.edu/news_...ng-are-unsafe/

http://money.cnn.com/2014/10/07/news...ing/index.html

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/distrac...mand-features/

http://www.stonelaw.com/Articles/Stu...traction.shtml

well I have no sympathy. A guy rear ended me at a stop light a couple
years ago. When I got out and walked up to his car, he was still on the
phone and actually held his hand up telling me to hang on a second as if
to say he was taking a call. The day before I was at the same light at
the same time in the same place on my bike. It would have been much
different then.

we've had cases where the cops catch the driver on the phone and ticket
him. I'm good if they want to throw the book at them. Even if it isn't
any worse than hands free, at least it's provable.