Old February 15th 19, 03:39 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

Default Woman on bicycle

On 15/02/2019 14:46, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
There is school at the end of my street. My desk faces to the window.
Some days I notice this woman on her bicycle going down the street,
usually at about the same time, so she must work at the school. Hi
viz, helmet and actually riding on the road!!!!!! Across the road
there is a ginnel, with constricting barriers and the legal signage
prohibiting cycling. I watched her mount the footpath, struggling
round the barriers and cycle down the ginnel - I once obstructed an
ape on his bicycle coming towards me in this ginnel, the ape
dismounted. So, is the woman just plain stupid, could not care less
or does she not understand the cycling prohibited sign? As she is a
cyclist it is probably all three.

More likely someone being sensible and pragmatic.

How do you know it is a legal prohibition? Many are not.

When was the sign last maintained? Many have been left to deteriorate
for at least 30 years.

Is there a matching one at the far end? When not maintained or the path
crosses a local authority boundary, often there isn't.

Does anybody with authority ever come to enforce it? Perhaps you should
go to your local authority or the police and demand they provide somebody.

In any case, what purpose does a prohibition serve?