Old July 17th 04, 04:54 AM
Edward Dolan

Default "stabilizing" a stratus?

"Frodo22222" wrote in message
My class was all about how to design a bike with geometry different from

the
upright. The airplane guys call it "HANDLING QUALITIES". When I wrote the

class
note, I didn't have Mark Stonich's information. However, tiller is only

one way
to add control centering spring to slow down the responsiveness.

I did find a simplified equation for predicting a bikes twitchyness. It's

in
the "Lords of the chainring".

We find that bike manufactureres go out of business when their bikes

aren't up
to snuff. I'm glad that I don't have to be a businessman.

Bill Patterson

Bill, I am convinced that trail and tiller for recumbents is what make or
breaks them (other than seat comfort of course). This cannot be rocket
science. A curse on all those who prefer twitchy bikes. These very
elementary considerations were solved over a hundred years ago with respect
to uprights.

The kind of guys who design and manufacture recumbents are the most pig
headed bunch of guys who ever existed. They design them for themselves and
do not consider what might be best for the vast majority of cyclists who
want a bike that is easy to handle above all else.

--
Ed Dolan - Minnesota