Old June 13th 19, 01:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Hot rodding e-bikes

On Wednesday, June 12, 2019 at 2:39:09 PM UTC-5, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 6/12/2019 3:07 PM, wrote:
On Wednesday, June 12, 2019 at 11:35:23 AM UTC-5, Frank Krygowski wrote:
Seems it's easy to modify an e-bike to travel up to about 45 kph.

http://cphpost.dk/news/souped-up-ele...rity-says.html

Unskilled newbies blasting through traffic at 30 mph? Sure! What could
go wrong?

--
- Frank Krygowski

According to Giant's e-bike website.
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/globa...-bike-go/21531

"In Europe, an E-bike can have a maximum power of 250 watts, assisting the E-Bike to a maximum speed of 25 km/h (15.6 mph). In the U.S., the rules are different. There, E-bike motors can have a maximum of 500 watts and assist up to 20 mph (32km/h).
There are also E-bikes that support up to 45km/h (28 mph). These are referred to as pedelecs."

So your comment about dangerous 45 kph (28 mph) electric bicycles are officially "pedelecs". This is from Wikipedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedelec

"Many jurisdictions classify pedelecs as bicycles as opposed to mopeds or motorcycles. More powerful e-bikes, such as the S-Pedelecs and power-on-demand e-bikes (those whose motors can provide assistance regardless of whether the rider is pedalling or not) are often classified as mopeds or even motorcycles with the rider thus subject to the regulations of such motor vehicles, e.g. having a license and a vehicle registration, wearing a helmet etc."

So...there seems to be differences in what is considered an e-bike and a pedelec and exactly how fast they can go and whether they are officially mopeds or bicycles depending on which state/country you live in. As for people "breaking the law and souping up there e-bike to an illegal speed", I've only been around for half a century, but I am fairly certain there have been human beings breaking the law ever since the first law was enacted thousands upon thousands of years ago. I'm somewhat shocked you are just realizing this simple fact Frank.

A) Who are you quoting with that "breaking the law" quote? It wasn't me.

I guess I added the quotations incorrectly. I used your words to imply illegal. You used "Hot rodding" in the thread title. And your link is titled "souped-up-electric-bikes-a-potential-accident-waiting-to-happen-authority-says". And you use the words "Unskilled", "newbies", "blasting". All of those words imply a bit of illegality. Except maybe newbie.

B) What gave you the idea I just now realized there are lawbreakers?
What an odd statement!

You started a thread on a bicycle forum titled "Hot rodding". And linked to an article titled "souped-up-electric-bikes-a-potential-accident-waiting-to-happen-authority-says". Hot rodding kind of implies law breaking. And your link mentions authorities, law enforcement, being concerned with it. Your thread seems to be surprised that this illegal and/or dangerous activity would occur.

C) You didn't address my point. Do you see anything likely to go wrong
with hot-rodding an e-bike?

No I did not address the two questions at the end of your post.

--
- Frank Krygowski