Old May 5th 05, 02:23 PM
daveornee

Ken Wrote:
Okay to get right to the point. I have this old mtb that I just got and
the
back wheel had some major wobbles to it when I got it. I used the tire
and
frame as a guide and got the *big* wobbles out. Then last night I was
going
to ride it for my after dinner short ride and I had a flat tire, I took
the
wheel off the bike, took the tire and tube off the rim and patched and
re-assembled. Now when I spin the wheel my tire rubs on my chainstays.
have tried changing the angle of the wheel slightly and it seems that
if I
do the tire rubs on the other side. Now I know this is probably caused
by
the tire not being mounted back on the rim in exactly the same place.
My
question should I try to *re-true* the back wheel using my tire /
frame
method. Or is there some other simpler solution to my problem?

Ken

--
Remove "-dispose-trash" for email address
My personal webstie: http://kcm-home.tripod.com/

Your attempt to take out the wobbles may have pushed the rim out of
center between the locknuts. You need to make sure the wheel is
centered.
This is best done with the tire off or with a Park Tool Centering gague
WAG-4 as shown in:
http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/wag.shtml
at the above URL you will also find a link for wheel truing.
The rear rim is likely bent. You efforts to true it may meet with
short term success, but will likely lead to spoke failure as some
spokes will be carrying more than their share of the loads and other
will go slack under dynamic loading.

--
daveornee