Old May 5th 05, 04:21 PM
John Everett

On Thu, 5 May 2005 07:42:58 -0400, "Ken"
wrote:

My question should I try to *re-true* the back wheel using my tire / frame
method. Or is there some other simpler solution to my problem?

Your first mistake was using the "tire/frame method" in the first
instance. Instead you should have used the "rim/brake pad method".

Assuming you have a way to support the bike (like a repair stand),
take the tire and tube off the rim, put the wheel back in the frame,
and true the wheel using the brake pads as a reference. You can do an
acceptable job of centering the rim in the frame (dishing) by flipping
the wheel over (cogs on left side) and making sure the rim is the same
distance from the pads as when properly mounted.

Once you have the wheel acceptably true (hey, it's just an old MTB)
remount the tire and tube. If there's still a wobble to the tire check
how you've mounted it.

jeverett3ATearthlinkDOTnet http://home.earthlink.net/~jeverett3