Old May 5th 05, 04:26 PM
RonSonic

On Thu, 5 May 2005 07:42:58 -0400, "Ken"
wrote:

Okay to get right to the point. I have this old mtb that I just got and the
back wheel had some major wobbles to it when I got it. I used the tire and
frame as a guide and got the *big* wobbles out. Then last night I was going
to ride it for my after dinner short ride and I had a flat tire, I took the
wheel off the bike, took the tire and tube off the rim and patched and
re-assembled. Now when I spin the wheel my tire rubs on my chainstays. I
have tried changing the angle of the wheel slightly and it seems that if I
do the tire rubs on the other side. Now I know this is probably caused by
the tire not being mounted back on the rim in exactly the same place. My
question should I try to *re-true* the back wheel using my tire / frame
method. Or is there some other simpler solution to my problem?

It's your "tire/frame method" that hosed up your damn wheel in the first place.
Or second place assuming it was imperfect when you started.

True the rim to frame, not the tire. The tire's made of rubber and air and
flexes and shifts, truing to that's like nailing jello to a tree.

In fact, you're at the point where you'll need to get the tire off of there to
salvage this thing. The beer and wheel truing post explains this all pretty
darned well. I'll recommend his advice.

Ron