Old November 9th 04, 10:02 PM
do not spam

In article ,
Atri I wrote:
Looking at what's available, I see a vast range of prices
(http://www.nashbar.com and http://www.performancebike.com). I realize
I get what I pay for, but what should I look for in a shoe? Some of
these prices seem quite a bit lower than those at the LBS - any
advantage buying at the LBS as opposed to online? I assume the shoe
size is the same as my regular sneakers?

Shoe sizing varies a lot. Bike shoes usually fit somewhat snugger
than sneakers, so you need to consider length, width, and volume.
Buy from a LBS where you can try them on first.

Regarding shoe models, that depends a lot on what kind of riding
you will be doing. Stiffer shoes give you the maximum efficiency,
but are uncomfortable if you're going to walk around off the bike.
Road racing have a minimal outer sole to save weight, but walking
a lot will ruin them. MTB shoes have lugs and spikes so you can
hike up muddy hills. Touring shoes are somewhere in between road
racing and MTB shoes and are probably best for recreational riders.