Old November 10th 04, 09:32 PM
Ravi

Atri I wrote:

I have never used clipless pedals before, and so, I have some very
basic questions. I'm looking at buying a LeMond Big Sky SL that comes
with Shimano M505 clipless pedals.

Looking at what's available, I see a vast range of prices
(http://www.nashbar.com and http://www.performancebike.com). I realize
I get what I pay for, but what should I look for in a shoe? Some of
these prices seem quite a bit lower than those at the LBS - any
advantage buying at the LBS as opposed to online? I assume the shoe
size is the same as my regular sneakers?

sizing or fitting is a tricky question - depends on the make and model
of the shoe. The fitting is preferred to be snug. Do take into account
that your feet tend to swell a little bit during long rides. So, a
little room is preferable (little wiggle room).

actually if you see SIDI - they have a nice method of fitting:
http://www.sidiusa.com/tech/faq.html#14 but, i think that applies to
those shoes only - coz they are leather ?? not sure.

At an LBS, you should be able to try out different models - atleast the
first pair of shoes, i would suggest you to to a LBS.

if you feet are wide or narrow, your choices narrows only a handful
of the shoes are available.

Looking at LeMond Big Sky SL (comfort road bike), i am guessing the
purpose to be more recreational/touring purpose. Do check out some of
the touring shoes - like shimano SH-M034 - i use it most of the time and
it is pretty stiff for a touring shoe. Since it has recessed cleats, it
is pretty nice and easy to walk around in. road shoes - which do not
have recessed cleats, would make you walk like a duck - but again
more stiffer soles means better power transfer.

my sh-m034 is 47cm sized
my sidis are 45.5 cms(Mega)

both fit me just right - the size isn't 100% guarantee that it will fit.

+ravi

Here's what I found in the FAQ - it seems to describe my needs fairly
well.

Thanks,

Atri

Cycling Footwear

When it comes to cycling footware, I think the best option seems to be
one of the walkable clip-in shoe systems such as the Shimano SPD.
Having a shoe that you can walk in has two big benefits. First off,
if you have never toured, you will be surprised at the amount of
off-the-bike walking that is done during the course of the day in
order to buy food, take photographs and check out historic sights.
Secondly, having to carry a pair of walking shoes means extra bulk and
weight.

I would not recommend Look cleats for touring. I do a lot of walking
which is unavoidable. It has been my experience that even a little
bit of wear on the Look cleat can make it behave differently in the
pedal. While Look cleat covers
are available to protect the cleat during walking, during a normal day
on the road you do so much on and off the bike activity that it seemed
like too much bother to take the covers on and off and on and off,
etc.