Old November 2nd 09, 09:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
DirtRoadie

Default Bicycle Stopping Distances

On Nov 2, 10:44*am, "Paul B. Anders" wrote:

Plug in 50 mph. Anyone who has done any high-speed descending who
believes a bike can stop from 50 mph in under 100 feet is smoking
weed. It's laughable. Go descend Carson or Monitor passes in the
Sierra's, where you can hit 50 mph easily, and do a full-on panic stop
and see if you can do this.

It's funny, I have ridden those passes, and 50 mph descents are also
common on many of my local roads. I honestly have no idea how I might
hope to stop under such conditions, although I suspect it would not be
that quickly. I DO know that I never want to be faced with finding
out nor am I likely to go out and do any significant experimenting
toward that end.

DR