Old July 8th 11, 11:42 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.soc
Edward Dolan

Default Insight into the phases of the Internet forum life cycle: a perspective

"JimmyMac" wrote in message
On Jul 7, 9:27 am, "Edward Dolan" wrote:
[...]

Even so, it may not make any difference. It has not been proven that diet
has anything to do with prostate cancer.

Has it been disproved? It has been proven that can activate

deactivate genes that cause prostate cancer and the anecdotal and
statistical evidence is overwhelming that diet is certainly a factor
linked to prostate cancer.

I never place any confidence in anecdotal 'evidence'. Even statistical
'evidence ' is highly suspect. Either do the science or forget about it.

Tom Sherman wrote:

There is not enough grain raised in the world for everyone in China
alone,
much less 7 billion plus, to eat as much meat per capita as USians do.
In
most places meat is more of a condiment than a staple.

I think all humans would like to consume more meat. The only thing that
prevents it is a scarcity of resources.

Ed, you really should to stop using the emphatically inclusive "ALL"

when not applicable. Surely it is a given that vegetarians and vegans
are humans who have chosen not to consume meat. Your conclusion does
not follow from your premise (logical fallacy - non sequitor).
Scarcity of resource is not the ONLY thing the prevent ALL humans from
consuming more meat. You are disregarding the matter of conscious
choice not to consume meat. Some humans have no such desire.

There are only a few folks in this world who choose not to eat meat. In
fact, it is so rare that it borders on eccentricity.

All early human cultures (before agriculture) were based on hunting and
gathering. I don't think it can be argued that humans were ever like some
other primates who are strictly vegetarians.

I don't believe that either Tom or myself implied that. Since you
brought the topic up though, back then we got exercise hunting game
instead of driving to the butcher and animals roamed freely eating
natural substance rather than genetically modified feed grown in
fields where herbicides and pesticides are employed. Hormones and
antibiotics had yet to be invented that are found in the meat we
consume and these are all reason enough to consider how much meat one
consumes. There are more reasons, but don't even get me started.

Then you are saying human activity (exercise) is another element that must
be considered? All animal organisms are evolved to combat a variety of
situations, especially as regards diet.
[...]

If we want to keep a pet, a dog or cat should do just fine. I suggest
limiting them however to just a few. No one in this world needs as many
cats
as I have.

As for dogs, two is a good idea, since they're pack animals. Cats are

not pack animals, so more that one is unnecessary. Multiples qualify
your house as a cat house ;^)

Cats may not be pack animals, but they are social animals to a limited
extent. It is cruel to keep just one cat.

--
Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka