Old May 14th 04, 07:18 AM
Luke

Default Sounding off: On unsound wheels and sound advice

I've done it and most likely everyone else on this group has also:
Bought a component ill suited for the purpose because you "must have
it." This despite knowing better or receiving advice urging otherwise.

In this case the component in question is a rear wheel. (One half of a
Ritchie Design wheelset whose exact designation escapes me) It has 28
bladed DT spokes laced to a semi-aero rim (the one with off center
spoke holes calculated to reduce drive and non-drive side spoke tension
differences.) I can't recall whether it was laced 2X or 3X. And the
glutton for punishment was a 210 pound friend of mine who used this
wheel on his Specialized Sirrus for commuting. Just the sort of riding
that would benefit from bladed spokes

Against good advice (mine:-) he persisted. First week: Broken spoke.
Third week: Another broken spoke. 1 Month or so: Another broken spoke.
Most likely a poor initial wheel build contributed to the spoke
failures. Perhaps the wheel was never stress relieved or tensioned
properly to begin with. Even so, I thought it foolish using a wheel
with a such a low spoke count.

Upon the first spoke failure, the repair was performed by the LBS that
sold him the wheelset. The two following failures were attended to by a
wrench at a second LBS. On both occasions the second LBS recommended
that the Ritchie wheel not be used. (i.e. Offered sage advice, which my
friend disregarded)

Then following the third failure and under recommendation by a wrench
at a third LBS, the wheel was rebuilt using straight (15) gauge
stainless spokes. This was a surprise. It was a mystery to me why the
LBS would undertake to relace the wheel rather than recommend a more
robust alternative.

Fifty kilometers following the rebuild the wheel was well on it's way
to failing. Four spokes were so loose I could tighten their nipples
without the aid of a wrench. Obviously it wasn't tensioned and/or
stress relieved properly. Shoddy work.

My advice ;
a) Return the wheel to the LBS so the wrench who rebuilt it could
explain how his 'guaranteed' work came undone in 50 KM.
b) Get a wheel with a higher spoke count; 36 preferably. This has
since been heeded.

Most of the aggravation - on both the buyer's and seller's part -
could've been avoided if the initial LBS that sold him the wheel,
steered him to a more suitable choice. A LBS *should* attempt to
educate a prospective buyer about a purchase and buyer should consider
the info when deciding. (In a perfect world of course) The educated
buyer that disregards sound advice and persists in his folly is free to
squander his money and complicate his life as he sees fit.

I'm curious. To those r.b.t participants who operate bicycle shops:

I understand a satisfied customer is essential to a prosperous business
relationship. It's to your benefit to have him riding and enjoying his
bicycle as much as possible. And to that end, the right equipment and
good service are requisite. But at what point do you continue to serve
an obstinate customer knowing that to satisfy his wants is at cross
purposes to serving his needs? Have you patently refused to entertain a
customer's request in order to, in effect, protect him from himself?

luke