Old June 28th 06, 01:39 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default chain rings

in message , Vimal
') wrote:

Should a chain be replaced when front chain rings are replaced? I ask
because I've replaced the chain rings and found that there is what
seems to be a regular "lag" when pedalling

If you let a chain wear beyond its wear limits it will rapidly wear both
cassette and chainrings. It will continue to work because the worn chain
will 'fit' the old chainrings and cassette - they've all worn together.
If you replace any one component once you've exceeded that critical wear
point things will no longer fit - a 'stretched' (worn out) chain won't
fit standard chainrings and will rapidly wear them.

So yes, you /must/ replace the chain (and usually the cassette as well)
when you replace chainrings, /if/ you are replacing them because they
are worn. Otherwise, you will very quickly trash the new ones.

... the chain seems to take
a half a turn before it takes effect. There are no broken teeth in the
rear casette, which along with the chain were replaced about 100 miles
ago. Is there a solution.

Using a new chain with worn out chainrings will put unfair pressure on
the chain which will lead to accelerated wear. 100 miles sounds very
little to me, so you may get away with it; but... without being able to
see it, I suspect you may need to replace the lot. Again.

Go and talk to an experienced bike mechanic locally. I'd love to be
wrong.

Morning had broken, and there was nothing left for us to do
but pick up the pieces.