Old November 9th 13, 08:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan

Default The Four Horsemen

Dan writes:

Rules of the Road.

This is of course a huge, sprawling topic, of utmost importance to many
(most) independent travelers; but my coverage here will be short.

The Rules of the Road greatly affect Situational Awareness, because it
*strongly* influences what other road users are *apt* to do. It does
not constrain what is possible, but it heavily drives probability. (The
SA rider still needs to pay attention - to get inside the head of others
and consider how "ruled" they are by the Rules.)

The Rules of the Road - in The United States of America, at least - are
almost entirely geared for automobile traffic, so they are often the
proverbial round hole for the square peg of a bicyclist. But wait! The
Rules of the Road (pretty much) *only* apply to the road, which it but a
very small part of the bicyclist's landscape :-)

Golly I guess that's about all I have to say about this (for now),
except that (and we'll get into this with the other closely related
Horseman, Social Interaction) certain unwritten fundamental rules are
always in effect.

This just in:

"The News also accompanied officers of the Special Constabulary, who
have been tasked with targeting cyclists flouting traffic laws in a
massive blitz."