Old August 2nd 06, 04:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Raptor

Default Highest paved roads

mark wrote:
I rode up it with a friend in August of 2004 and we got caught in a
snowstorm at the top. I was okay, but the low body fat that helped my
friend ride me into the ground going up got her into serious trouble on
the way down. By the time we got to the lodge at Echo Lake she was
pretty hypothermic. Her hands were so cold that I was afraid she
wouldn't be able to work the brake levers on the decent.

mark

I recall a similar ride up Little Cottonwood Canyon one Autumn. No snow,
but the temperature difference made the first five minutes of the
descent almost unbearable. I sweat a lot, and it worked well to cool me
that day.

I have nothing but contempt and anger for those who betray the
trust by exposing the name of our sources. They are, in my view,
the most insidious of traitors."
George H.W. Bush, April 16, 1999,