Old November 24th 03, 10:15 PM
Rick Onanian

Default First long ride on my new bike (long)

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 15:18:52 -0500, David Kerber
wrote:
In article ,
says...
LOL! Some people just don't want their names brought up in a public
forum by someone else.

My name gets dirty enough here that I'm pretty flexible unless we
did anything on our ride that would get me in trouble (we didn't).

It wouldn't have been as cold at the end, either. Your arms must have
been freezing; as I said below, I was *really* glad I had the long
sleeves.

I think I remember mentioning when my arms did get cold, although I
don't remember cold arms. My lungs were _dying_ from the cold air,
though -- they'd probably have handled it better if I had practice.

However, later that day, I had a hypoglycemia attack -- never had
so I pulled over and called my girlfriend, who guessed hypoglycemia;
and sure enough, some beef jerky, Ritz crackers, and a soda later I

That would be scary; it's never happened to me that I recall. Is your
GF in a medical field? You should have brought the Ritz and beef
jerkey along with you!

No, but she recently had a spate of HG attacks, and had to go to a
doctor to find out, so it was at the forefront of her mind. She
actually guessed heart attack first, but I'm stubborn and young so I
refused to call 911 -- and as we went over the symptoms, she made
the connection.

Ritz probably would be fine for the ride, but I bet the beef jerky
would be the same problem as my preferred greaseburger type food.
However, while bonk-causing, it is probably HG-avoiding.

2. There's no reasonable amount or type of food for me to eat on a
long ride.
to crackers and Gu (insufficient fuel), and nothing worked; and when
I only had crackers and Gu, I ended up hypoglycemic too.

The crackers don't have much sugar in them, though I thought the
Reese's would have helped that. It's taken me a few years to get to

AFAIK, the simple sugars in the candy are no good for more than a
couple minutes of fuel, and probably contributed to my later
hypoglycemia. The crackers (orange-colored "cheese flavored
cracker" peanut butter sandwiches, standard type) are probably a
pretty good balance of simple and complex carbohydrates, but if I
eat enough of them to fuel me, I probably will bonk trying to digest
them.

know my body well enough to be able to properly pace my food
and drink consumption over the course of a day of exertion; you'll get
there with experience.

Actually, I forgot that I already have it figured out, and just
haven't done it: My carb-loading breakfast, good for 45 miles all
summer (and only good for 30 or so on Saturday), eaten again for
lunch, ought to do it: Mass quantities of Rice Krispies in whole
milk. I bet if I stop at a store and get that for lunch, I'll be
fine.

I really ought to do the same. I bet I could hit 100 miles drafting
a group!

That's my goal, too. With this 60+ under my belt, I'm now reasonably
confident I could do 100 with some training and group moral support.

Don't forget group drafting support. Next time we ride, I'll pull
on Route 2 and you'll see what I mean; at least, it worked well for
me there when I drafted before. I was really quite surprised; I
thought the effect would be negligible, but it was quite strong.
--
Rick Onanian