Old August 7th 19, 06:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Can use 9-Speed chain with 6 or 7 speed cluster?

On 8/7/2019 10:38 AM, David Scheidt wrote:
Sir Ridesalot wrote:
:Hi there.

:All my spare chains are 9-speed ones. My friend needs a new chain but his bike is either 6 or 7 speed rear cluster. Will a 9 speed chain work on a 6 or 7 speed cluster?

Yes, but shifting may be a little iffy if it's indexed. Friction, no
problem. But a new 8 speed chain is only about 10 bucks, and is
likely to last longer, and available at any decent bike shop.

You're right on the principle but 5/6/7 chain has rivets
sticking out the side (8 & up don't) which makes a big
difference in shift response in older gear trains.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/