Old August 17th 19, 02:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Power

On Saturday, August 17, 2019 at 1:07:37 AM UTC+2, jbeattie wrote:
On Sunday, August 11, 2019 at 3:00:58 PM UTC-7, James wrote:
On 12/8/19 4:09 am, Tom Kunich wrote:
I have some information on power development he

http://www.cyclingpowerlab.com/cyclingpoweroutput.aspx

Using this information it appears that I'm making over 200 watts on a
good day.

I did 22 miles on Thursday with one long 6% climb and four over 5%
humps in an hour and 25 minutes. After a short break I continued into
a 25 knot wind right on the nose for another 6 miles and then a hard
climb up to 1,000 feet with up to 11% recorded max grade (though
these three hard grades measure 12% as often as hot.)

I got home with 42 miles and a riding time of 3 hrs and 22 minutes
and a total of 2,404 feet of climbing for an average speed of 12.2
mph.

I was wondering if my average speed was including my breaks so I
installed MapMyRide and checked my average speed that way. I got
pretty near the same average speed. This leaves me wondering how the
hell that people tell me that they do a flat ride that crosses about
20 stop lights and get an average speed of 17 mph.

Are you questioning whether people use a device that stops the clock
when they stop at lights or not?

I used to ride through city streets and on a typical 60 km ride would
stop more than 20 times, and my average speed was often around 32km/h
(20mph). My cycle computer stops the clock when I stop the bike.

The bummer is when you don't stop but have to slow way down for lights or stops -- then you get dinged and look like a loser on Strava.

-- Jay Beattie.

On my Garmin I can set the auto stop speed. You can set it to 35 km/hr. I would get ultra short rides with an incredible average speed ;-). I have set it to 5 km/hr so the ferry which I take quite ofter doesn't start the timer. I don't know how Strava handles this but the lap that include the ferry has always an ridiculous low average speed. I want my money back ;-)

Lou