Old August 13th 17, 07:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
John B.[_3_]

Default AG: Do as I say, not as I do

On Sat, 12 Aug 2017 23:48:38 -0300, Joy Beeson
wrote:

What I say:

Take the first sip of water as you are rolling out the driveway.
It sets the proper rhythm, and lets you know you forgot to clean
your bottle while you can still go back and do something about it.

What I do:

Last Saturday I was well beyond the bridge before I learned that I had
to go back and swap half a bottle of very sour tea for a full bottle
of chilled water. (I drank the tea -- diluted with plain tea -- on
Thursday.)

I ain't abuyin' no more opaque water bottles.

In truth, the only opaque bottle that I actually bought -- the Sheriff
Goshert bottle the tea was in was given to me at a garage sale -- is
the black bottle that came with the bottle cage that I bought for the
walk-behind lawn mower. And that's stashed away for emergency use.

Said lawn mower is up for grabs now; I haven't done any trimming since
my spouse bought a zero-turn riding mower.

What I do is the night before a ride I mix my drinks, in this weather
two 1/2 litre bottles, in the hot season, four, and put one in the
fridge and one in the freezer, in the hot season on in the in the
fridge and three in the freezer. Which gives me "coldish" drink over
about a four or five hour ride.

It isn't a perfect solution as the bottles do warm up a bit but is
better then nothing. In really hot weather I stop at 7-11 stores -
there is one at nearly every gas station - and buy bottles of cold
water and mix them with any leftover drink that I happen to have.

In a tropical climate I find that some sort of "sports drink"
containing at least salt is pretty well mandatory. Or, at least my
experience drinking bottled water on a 50 km ride in 95 - 100 degree
weather was very debilitating compared with the same ride using a
sports drink.
--
Cheers,

John B.