Sea Otter Classic

Old April 12th 19, 05:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default Sea Otter Classic

Headed over to Monterey yesterday for the Sea Otter Classic
http://www.seaotterclassic.com/.

It's grown a lot. They've opened up another large area of Laguna Seca
for more booths. It was cold and very windy yesterday with vendors
struggling to keep their tents from flying away. I don't think that much
beer was sold yesterday but they sold a lot of hot coffee.

Saw Joe Breeze in a booth for Breezer Bikes. Not sure who owns the brand
after the ASE bankruptcy. Last time I saw Joe was about 25 years ago in
Taiwan. He looked older.

Tom Ritchey will be in Monterey on Saturday, but he wasn't in the
Ritchey booth.

Saw the new Trek Wavecel helmets in the Trek booth.

Lots of odd products as usual. The foot-stomp frame pump. A
communications system that attaches to your helmet. A retrofit
electronic shifting system.

Five companies showing tents that you put on top of your SUV. Is this a
new thing as an alternative to towing a camper?

Yamaha has entered the U.S. electric bicycle business with a line of
low-end mid-drive motor equipped models.

A lot of new lights on display, but nothing exciting, and all very high
priced. My current recommendation for an integrated-battery front light
is the $56, 1600 lumen, GACIRON V9D-1600
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/GACIRON-Bike-Front-Headlight-Cycling-Bicycle-Rechargeable-Flashlight-IPX6-Waterproof-5000mAh-1600Lumen-LED-Lamp-Bike-Accessories/32908737016.html.
Wish they would change to USB-C with QC3.0.

Very good food trucks but so much free food being given away that there
wasn't a big need for them. Chews, gels, bars, drops, hydration drinks,
even free vegetarian and vegan pizza.

One seat company had an electronic assometer to measure you for proper
seats. A few years ago, a company I was consulting for tried to sell
Specialized on this idea but they weren't interested because each unit
would cost a shop about $200.
Old April 12th 19, 06:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 4/12/2019 12:54 PM, sms wrote:

A lot of new lights on display, but nothing exciting, and all very high
priced. My current recommendation for an integrated-battery front light
is the $56, 1600 lumen, GACIRON V9D-1600
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/GACIRON-Bike-Front-Headlight-Cycling-Bicycle-Rechargeable-Flashlight-IPX6-Waterproof-5000mAh-1600Lumen-LED-Lamp-Bike-Accessories/32908737016.html.

But... but... but... They show a beam pattern designed to not blind
other people!
https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1ygSin...uq6z0HFXam.jpg

You can't possibly like that. It goes against everything you've posted
for years. Good grief, what if there's a tree branch five feet above
your bike lane?

--
- Frank Krygowski

Sea Otter Classic strictlyone Unicycling 6 April 2nd 08 06:00 PM
Sea Otter Classic Unicaw89 Unicycling 0 April 2nd 08 04:57 AM
Sea Otter Classic- open to ALL cycles! [email protected] Recumbent Biking 1 April 14th 07 01:33 AM
Sea Otter Classic Grassy Knoll Project steephill Racing 0 April 6th 06 08:19 PM
2005 Sea Otter Classic (Apr 14-17) Ablang Rides 0 April 19th 05 03:05 AM