UCI and Doping solution

Old May 24th 07, 01:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Jan

Default UCI and Doping solution

The following has been drafted by a member of the Eurosport Cycling forums.
It is suggested that it be sent to the UCI . Although we
disagree with doping. This does seem a logical way to instantly clean the
sport up,- while there is still time. Please forward to the the UCI. It
might just work!!

thanks

Jan

I would like to propose an idea of an amnesty for drug takers in the
sport. As is plainly obvious, the current system is not working, with
credibilty in cycling diminishing day by day. Therefore, I feel that an
amnesty would be a good option. It allows those who have doped in the past
to come out and admit it, without fear of being reprimanded and sponsors
pulling out, as is happening right now. Give them until a date to get clean,
then anyone caught should be thrown out of cycling for good. This gives them
no excuse and can make cycling credible again. I would dearly love to see
clean riders battling it out heart and mind against each other in the
knowledge that this is their physical limits and they really are trying.

Old May 24th 07, 01:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On May 24, 1:25 pm, "Jan" wrote:
[...]

Sounds like a plan to me, but will we ever trust the peloton again?
Let's give it a crack.

Old May 24th 07, 03:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
bdbafh

On May 24, 8:25 am, "Jan" wrote:
[...]

Who is going to provide the testing?
Perhaps it is not only the Peleton that has lost credibility - or did
LNDD never have credibility in the first place?

-bdbafh

Old May 24th 07, 03:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
RonSonic

On Thu, 24 May 2007 13:25:30 +0100, "Jan" wrote:

[...]

NO.

The "throw 'em out for good" policy is why we've got this goddamn mess in the
first place. We already have that. Look at a calender and a racer's career
expectency the present policy is about the same. By the time a guy is winning
races he's in the fat part of his career and a 2 + 2 ban will have him out of it
and over.

If a doping charge ends a rider's career then no rider will ever admit or give
evidence against another.

How about just develop an intelligent, comprehensive and reasonable policy the
way other professional sports have and enforce it consistently, professionally
and without Dick Pound public accusations without evidence. Leave out the drama.

Ron
Old May 24th 07, 03:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Jan

wrote:

[...]

I'm not to hot on American- English but
I do believe you are agreeing with us, on that point.

If a doping charge ends a rider's career then no rider will ever
admit or give evidence against another.

That's why we propose an amnesty

How about just develop an intelligent, comprehensive and reasonable
policy the way other professional sports have and enforce it
consistently, professionally and without Dick Pound public
accusations without evidence. Leave out the drama.

Like in Athletics, Baseball and American football? ;-)

Ron

Old May 24th 07, 04:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
RonSonic

wrote:

[...]

No, I am very strongly disagreeing with the idea of a permanent ban. It is
counterproductive.

If a doping charge ends a rider's career then no rider will ever
admit or give evidence against another.

That's why we propose an amnesty

And what about next year or the year after and five years after that. A
draconian penalty that is rarely enforced and difficult to enforce will have
poorer results than a mild penalty that is easy to enforce reliably.

How about just develop an intelligent, comprehensive and reasonable
policy the way other professional sports have and enforce it
consistently, professionally and without Dick Pound public
accusations without evidence. Leave out the drama.

Like in Athletics, Baseball and American football? ;-)

Yes. All of those have drug problems - all of humanity has drug problems. But
all of which have far less drug problem than does bike racing. That they are
imperfect and serve up the occasional scandal does not make them bad examples
for a sport that seems to live in a state of perpetual disgrace.

Baseball, Football, Metric Football have nothing like the disaster that cycling
is going through.

Ron

Ron

Effect pedal demo's up at
http://www.soundclick.com/ronsonicpedalry

Old May 24th 07, 08:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

"Curtis L. Russell" a écrit dans le message de
news: ...
On Thu, 24 May 2007 20:18:29 +0200, Montesquiou wrote:

I agree with the idea of the amnesty for the drug takers as soon as the
cheaters give the stolen money back.

To who? The promoters that knew that cheating was rampant and made the
real money from it? The next racer who may or may not have been
cheating? Our Little Sisters of Mercy who, as far as I know, have not
been tested, period?

Put a statute of limitations on the infraction for penalties within
the sport - the UCI will have no impact on some prosecutor with
evidence of a real crime. Don't change it. Let everyone know that
after a certain date, they can talk until they are blue in the face
and history remains history and not subject to any official discussion
- leave the past to the historians and the books.

That way you don't have self-serving confessions or the issue of
confessions threading the needle to avoid implicating friends.
Everyone wants WADA and UCI to focus on the future? That is simply a
matter of making the decision to do so. Since they are the same people
that will have to sign off on this 'amnesty', the amnesty really isn't
needed.

And the other problem with amnesties is that they're like potato chips
- if they work at all, you won't have just one.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

Curtis,

Let say that I agree with you. My post was a little bit 'ironic'.
Amnesty never solved any problem. It is a recompense for the cheater and
inequity for the innocents.

UCI doping- Solution?? Jan General 0 May 24th 07 03:03 PM
a solution to doping... Callistus Valerius Racing 5 May 23rd 07 12:41 AM
Klaus-Peter Thaler On Recreational Doping & Tour Doping B. Lafferty Racing 26 December 10th 04 01:40 PM
Klaus-Peter Thaler On Recreational Doping & Tour Doping B. Lafferty Racing 0 December 9th 04 03:41 PM