French Leather Saddle Kaput?

Old July 9th 19, 10:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default French Leather Saddle Kaput?

This old French leather saddle was left on a bike outside covered with a tarp over the winter and spring and has developed a lot of SURFACE cracks. NONE of the cracks appear to be deep let alone go through the leather. Since these are just surface cracks my buddy wants to know if the saddle is kaput? The sheen on the saddle is from Mink Oil I applied a number of hours ago.

Thanks and cheers
Old July 9th 19, 11:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On Tue, 9 Jul 2019 14:00:35 -0700 (PDT), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

This old French leather saddle was left on a bike outside covered with a tarp over the winter and spring and has developed a lot of SURFACE cracks. NONE of the cracks appear to be deep let alone go through the leather. Since these are just surface cracks my buddy wants to know if the saddle is kaput? The sheen on the saddle is from Mink Oil I applied a number of hours ago.

Thanks and cheers

Why not just get on and ride? Try a few short rides and see how it
works. Since if the cracks are minor it's unlikely that there will be
a catastrophic failure so injury is unlikely.

Leather boots that aren't cared for will frequently develop minor
cracks across where the toes bend and still last a long time.

--

Cheers,

John B.
Old July 10th 19, 01:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

wrote:

This old French leather saddle was left on a bike outside covered with a tarp over the winter and spring and has developed a lot of SURFACE cracks. NONE of the cracks appear to be deep let alone go through the leather. Since these are just surface cracks my buddy wants to know if the saddle is kaput? The sheen on the saddle is from Mink Oil I applied a number of hours ago.

Thanks and cheers

Why not just get on and ride? Try a few short rides and see how it
works. Since if the cracks are minor it's unlikely that there will be
a catastrophic failure so injury is unlikely.

Leather boots that aren't cared for will frequently develop minor
cracks across where the toes bend and still last a long time.

--

Cheers,

John B.

Well I ended up giving the saddle a bit of a sanding and the cracks were much more noticeable. They still are not that deep and now the saddle tope is pretty smooth. To quote Johnny Cash in has song "Mean as Hell", "I'll ride it until it is fell. Then I'll get me another. Cuz I'm mean as hell". LOL VBEG. I think there's still a lot of use in it. IF it looks like it might fail then I'll use it as a practice saddle to shave off the side-skirta ala the Brooks Swallow.

Cheers

Leather saddle. Ian Field Techniques 6 February 11th 16 07:35 PM
Help! I Think My Leather Saddle Has Turned On Me... Jack Kessler General 3 April 27th 06 04:58 AM
Help! I Think My Leather Saddle Has Turned On Me... Michael Press Techniques 2 April 27th 06 01:19 AM
Help! I Think My Leather Saddle Has Turned On Me... Arno Welzel General 0 April 25th 06 09:48 AM
FA: Ends today. French leather saddle. Greg Achtem Marketplace 0 April 4th 05 09:34 PM