15mm axles on White Ind. rear road hubs

Old July 10th 19, 04:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
incredulous

Default 15mm axles on White Ind. rear road hubs

What are these about? I’ve been offered a wheel set with these hubs..
I appreciate claims for ‘boost’, stronger axles and better fastening for down hill bikes. But, there are frames for them.
Is the 15mm axle of the White T11 compatible with any 130mm road bike dropouts?

Last: Good, better, and even best Shimano hubs have long given good service for touring and rando use.
Has this also proven true for White, Hope, and Chris King and similar?

Harry Travis
Portland Oregon USA
Old July 10th 19, 01:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 7/9/2019 10:57 PM, incredulous wrote:
What are these about? I’ve been offered a wheel set with these hubs.
I appreciate claims for ‘boost’, stronger axles and better fastening for down hill bikes. But, there are frames for them.
Is the 15mm axle of the White T11 compatible with any 130mm road bike dropouts?

Last: Good, better, and even best Shimano hubs have long given good service for touring and rando use.
Has this also proven true for White, Hope, and Chris King and similar?

Harry Travis
Portland Oregon USA

Don't know. Got a link?

There are very fat through-axle designs but standard QR hubs
with oversize axles aren't new. Phil made his rears 5/8"
(16mm) since 1971 (although necked to 15mm at the bearing
seats). Those are 110mm through 160mm width for various
applications.

http://www.yellowjersey.org/philcs.jpg

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old July 10th 19, 02:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Wednesday, July 10, 2019 at 5:53:00 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

The T11 is a QR/130mm hub with a fat axle. It's the functional equivalent of the rear axle on my commuter, which is a 15mm through axle with QR adapters. Works fine in a standard drop out. If you're going to spend that kind of money, then you should get DT or Chris King because they have the distinctive angry bee freehub pawls, which sound like money. The T11 are pretty quiet IIRC, and people may think you're on low-budget hubs.They're nice hubs and should last. They are serviceable. A Ti freehub body, IMO, will get munged over time -- but not as bad as aluminum. It should not be a concern.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old July 11th 19, 03:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 10/7/19 11:45 pm, jbeattie wrote:

The T11 is a QR/130mm hub with a fat axle. It's the functional
equivalent of the rear axle on my commuter, which is a 15mm through
axle with QR adapters. Works fine in a standard drop out. If you're
going to spend that kind of money, then you should get DT or Chris
King because they have the distinctive angry bee freehub pawls, which
sound like money. The T11 are pretty quiet IIRC, and people may think
you're on low-budget hubs.They're nice hubs and should last. They
are serviceable. A Ti freehub body, IMO, will get munged over time
-- but not as bad as aluminum. It should not be a concern.

My Miche hub has an aluminium cassette body. The munging isn't
significant after several years and 10's of 1000's of kms of riding.
But IIRC Campagnolo splines might be a little deeper and less prone to
munging soft freehub bodies?

I wouldn't be at all concerned with a Ti freehub body using Campagnolo.

--
JS

15mm Road patches Tom Lake Techniques 18 May 19th 11 01:55 PM
15mm Road patches bfd[_2_] Techniques 1 May 16th 11 04:46 PM
Extra long rear axles? Where to find? Chalo Techniques 20 August 31st 10 12:27 AM
Breaking rear axles (was: Getting Stuck Out Someplace) Tom Kunich Techniques 4 November 30th 08 02:33 PM
Normandy Luxe Hubs - Axles ? Donald Gillies Techniques 1 November 25th 04 04:28 PM