Bicycle Security News

Old August 1st 20, 09:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

Default Bicycle Security News

On Sat, 01 Aug 2020 12:13:18 -0700, AK wrote:

On Wednesday, July 22, 2020 at 9:12:01 AM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
or maybe fake news

https://cyclingindustry.news/scienti...material-well-

suited-to-bike-security/
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

I wonder if a battery angle grinder could cut it?

I thought JohnB posted a link showing someone cutting into a hollow box
it was claimed to be made of this metal.

If so, it is only of increased resistance and quickly destroys the
cutting disk. They would just ave to go armed with a stack of replacement
disks as well as the angle grinder. And probably a replacement battery or
two.
Old August 2nd 20, 01:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

https://cyclingindustry.news/scienti...bike-security/
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

I wonder if a battery angle grinder could cut it?

Andy

There was a youtube of cutting a plate made from the "stuff" and the
angle grinder seemed to cut it pretty well but the wheel wore very
rapidly.
https://bgr.com/2020/07/21/uncuttabl...cutting-tools/

But I wonder what happens when you attack it with a 4 ft set of bolt
cutters?
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old August 2nd 20, 04:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

https://cyclingindustry.news/scienti...roof-material-

well-suited-to-bike-security/
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

I wonder if a battery angle grinder could cut it?

Andy

There was a youtube of cutting a plate made from the "stuff" and the
angle grinder seemed to cut it pretty well but the wheel wore very
rapidly.
https://bgr.com/2020/07/21/uncuttabl...cutting-tools/

But I wonder what happens when you attack it with a 4 ft set of bolt
cutters?

It will not be cut. Wrinkled maybe, You need shears to cut it.
Bolt cutters are good for cutting bolts, steel rod, etc. Not so good on
your hands.

Old August 2nd 20, 06:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

Look at the O.P. site. It shows a rather fat bicycle cable lock. No
reason that it wouldn't fit a set of bolt cutters. Bolt cutters with,
say, 30 inch handles - RTDGID S30 - will cut some fairly thick cables
:-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old August 2nd 20, 06:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AK[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

Thinking about the bikes I had over 50 years.

None of my bikes were stolen unless I failed to lock them up.

When I lived in on the 2nd floor of an apartment right next to the managers apartment, I felt secure that no one would try to steal my bike.

Big mistake. Some stole my Raleigh 3-speed bike. :-(

Andy

Please consider NOT voting for Trump.
Old August 2nd 20, 07:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

wrote:

[...]

IME, bolt cutters do well with bolts and I've used some that are as heavy
as a bicycle. They can also 'launch' any loose section of bolt like a
projectile.

However, the results on cable vary greatly as there is a tendency to
separate into distinct wires or mini-cables with only some of the wires
just be crushed. OTOH, I've never been mad enough to attempt cutting any
cable under high tension. IMO, an angle grinder would be a better way.

As to 'bicycle locks' I'm wondering exactly what they are talking about.
Is it the 'lock' part, aka 'brass' section, or as your implying the
'cable'

Then there s also the question of the intelligence of the bicycle thief
who sometimes t s quicker to cut off/up the item it is locked to.

I also remember an expensive 'unpickable' bicycle lock (krypyonite?) that
could be open by the end of a Bic biro n much the same manner as thse
automated lock picks work cylinder locks.

Old August 2nd 20, 04:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

[...]

Why would I ever consider that even for a moment?

Old August 2nd 20, 05:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_5_]

wrote:

[...]

As a favor to the world?

Lou
Old August 2nd 20, 05:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Sunday, August 2, 2020 at 4:45:49 PM UTC+1, AMuzi wrote:

Andy

Please consider NOT voting for Trump.

Why would I ever consider that even for a moment?

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Well, not to be totally ridiculous, you might consider not voting for Mr Trump because Marilyn Monroe has returned from the dead to run for president. It needn't be a long moment of foolishness. Hard to think of any other compelling reason.-- AJ
Old August 2nd 20, 08:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 8/2/2020 9:13 AM, Lou Holtman wrote:

snip

Andrew Muzi