STI shifter problem

Old November 20th 06, 05:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug B.

Default STI shifter problem

Just want to verify the common wisdom:
If the WD-40 treatment doesn't fix shifter problems, replace the
shifter?

Left Ultegra ST-6501 front lever moves when rear lever is pushed,
preventing downshift. Appears the spring for the front lever has
weakened. When front lever is held stationary, rear lever works as
expected.

Thanks.
Doug B.
Old November 20th 06, 09:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bill Cotton

See http://www.billcotton.com/sti_shifter_repair.htm

Old November 20th 06, 09:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug B.

On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 15:21:47 -0500, "Bill Cotton"
wrote:

"Doug B." wrote in message
.. .
Just want to verify the common wisdom:
If the WD-40 treatment doesn't fix shifter problems, replace the
shifter?

Left Ultegra ST-6501 front lever moves when rear lever is pushed,
preventing downshift. Appears the spring for the front lever has
weakened. When front lever is held stationary, rear lever works as
expected.

Thanks.
Doug B.

See http://www.billcotton.com/sti_shifter_repair.htm

How elegant! But I'm already home. Can't imagine initiating a ride
with that solution.
Doug B.
Old November 20th 06, 10:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

Doug B. wrote:
Just want to verify the common wisdom:
If the WD-40 treatment doesn't fix shifter problems, replace the
shifter?

Left Ultegra ST-6501 front lever moves when rear lever is pushed,
preventing downshift. Appears the spring for the front lever has
weakened. When front lever is held stationary, rear lever works as
expected.

Thanks.
Doug B.

Common failure mode of 9s STI, both ultegra and DA...replace..may want
to look at Campag, and no more busted, throw away lever problems.

Old November 20th 06, 10:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jj1075

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

Common failure mode of 9s STI, both ultegra and DA...replace..may want

to look at Campag, and no more busted, throw away lever problems.

What would one need to do to use Campagnolo shifters in the place of
Ultegra 9s STI? Is there a web site that tells all the
compatabilities/incompatabilities between the two groups? I know alot of
parts are interchangable from what I've read in here-I just can't keep it
all straight. My Ultegra 9s are starting to feel loose and have many more
rattles in the last couple thousand miles than previous. It'd be great to
replace 'em when they finally give out with something repairable without
dropping green on a whole new groupset.

jj1075

Old November 20th 06, 11:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug B.

On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 21:17:40 GMT, "jj1075" wrote:

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

Common failure mode of 9s STI, both ultegra and DA...replace..may want

to look at Campag, and no more busted, throw away lever problems.

What would one need to do to use Campagnolo shifters in the place of
Ultegra 9s STI? Is there a web site that tells all the
compatabilities/incompatabilities between the two groups? I know alot of
parts are interchangable from what I've read in here-I just can't keep it
all straight. My Ultegra 9s are starting to feel loose and have many more
rattles in the last couple thousand miles than previous. It'd be great to
replace 'em when they finally give out with something repairable without
dropping green on a whole new groupset.

jj1075

What he said!
Doug B.
Old November 21st 06, 06:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Gary Young

http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/shiftmate.html
Old November 21st 06, 07:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
bfd

"Gary Young" wrote in message
On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 21:17:40 +0000, jj1075 wrote:

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

Common failure mode of 9s STI, both ultegra and DA...replace..may want

to look at Campag, and no more busted, throw away lever problems.

What would one need to do to use Campagnolo shifters in the place of
Ultegra 9s STI? Is there a web site that tells all the
compatabilities/incompatabilities between the two groups? I know alot of
parts are interchangable from what I've read in here-I just can't keep it
all straight. My Ultegra 9s are starting to feel loose and have many more
rattles in the last couple thousand miles than previous. It'd be great to
replace 'em when they finally give out with something repairable without
dropping green on a whole new groupset.

jj1075

http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/shiftmate.html

Another option that is to use a Campy 10 ergo shifters with Shimano 9
everything else - rear der, hub and cassette and route the cable on the
opposite side:

http://www.hubbub.com/articles_ergopower.html

Best part, its free!

Old November 21st 06, 02:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

jj1075 wrote:
Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

Common failure mode of 9s STI, both ultegra and DA...replace..may want

to look at Campag, and no more busted, throw away lever problems.

What would one need to do to use Campagnolo shifters in the place of
Ultegra 9s STI? Is there a web site that tells all the
compatabilities/incompatabilities between the two groups? I know alot of
parts are interchangable from what I've read in here-I just can't keep it
all straight. My Ultegra 9s are starting to feel loose and have many more
rattles in the last couple thousand miles than previous. It'd be great to
replace 'em when they finally give out with something repairable without
dropping green on a whole new groupset.

jj1075

Get any 10s ERGO, any Campag RD, and adjust RD, go ride. Compatible
with shimano 9s cogs/chains and chainrings.

Old November 21st 06, 03:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jj1075

Gary Young wrote:

http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/shiftmate.html

Thanks! I shoulda figured on looking there first.

BFD wrote:

Another option that is to use a Campy 10 ergo shifters with Shimano 9

everything else - rear der, hub and cassette and route the cable on the
opposite side:

http://www.hubbub.com/articles_ergopower.html

Best part, its free!

Again, thanks. Looks highly do-able.

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

Get any 10s ERGO, any Campag RD, and adjust RD, go ride. Compatible

with shimano 9s cogs/chains and chainrings.

This is what I'll end up doing. I have access to both in Centaur.

jj1075