Shared cycle path - auditorially distracted pedestro-kretins stepping into the path of cycles

Old March 6th 09, 02:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Light of Aria[_2_]

Default Shared cycle path - auditorially distracted pedestro-kretins stepping into the path of cycles

I am increasingly concerned / distressed / irritated by fools with
headphones on who meander along shared use cycle paths, whom upon
approaching, I sound the courtesy bells several times, and yet the
pedestrians do not acknowledge one's approach.

If one is proceeding along the green cycle lane, as designated, at
reasonable speed, sounds several courtesy warning bells, displays lighting,
reflective jackets, and white cycle helmets, what is the legal position
should the pedestrian suddenly veer from the pedestrian section into the
path of the cyclist without looking/shoulder checking/life-saver-ing?

Can the cyclist sue the pedestrian? Could the pedestrian sue the cyclist.

In my quasi-legal opinion, a cyclist exercising all the above cautions and
courtesies versus a yob who chooses to listen to his personal audio system
or jabber inanely on his PAYG phone and chooses not to look could just about
avoid a manslaughter charge, but I am quite worried what my 35 Kilos of Bike
plus 84 Kilos of me plus 10 Kilos of luggage at 20KPH would inflict on an
errant mutt-brained pedestrian.

Old March 6th 09, 02:43 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
aigle_de_la_route

In article ,
"Light of Aria" wrote:

I am quite worried what my 35 Kilos of Bike
plus 84 Kilos of me plus 10 Kilos of luggage at 20KPH would inflict on an
errant mutt-brained pedestrian.

No more than they deserve.

--
aigle_de_la_route
Surly Long Haul Trucker
Old March 6th 09, 03:51 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
lardyninja

aigle_de_la_route wrote, On 06/03/2009 13:43:
In article ,
"Light of Aria" wrote:

I am quite worried what my 35 Kilos of Bike
plus 84 Kilos of me plus 10 Kilos of luggage at 20KPH would inflict on an
errant mutt-brained pedestrian.

No more than they deserve.

What an asinine comment. When there are vulnerable and unpredictable
road users around, just bloody well slow down.

LN

--

Professor of Madeupology at the
University of Myhouse

Old March 6th 09, 03:56 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

"Light of Aria" wrote:

I am quite worried what my 35 Kilos of Bike
plus 84 Kilos of me plus 10 Kilos of luggage at 20KPH would
inflict on an errant mutt-brained pedestrian.

No more than they deserve.

What an asinine comment. When there are vulnerable and unpredictable
road users around, just bloody well slow down.

No, he's right. Car drivers should likewise knock off any cyclists who
get in their way, especially kids and grannies ...

Old March 6th 09, 04:06 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Weaver

On 6 Mar, 13:21, "Light of Aria"
wrote:
In my quasi-legal opinion, a cyclist exercising all the above cautions and
courtesies versus a yob who chooses to listen to his personal audio system
or jabber inanely on his PAYG phone and chooses not to look could just about
avoid a manslaughter charge, but I am quite worried what my 35 Kilos of Bike
plus 84 Kilos of me plus 10 Kilos of luggage at 20KPH would inflict on an
errant mutt-brained pedestrian.

Too much damage. Stick to the road where you'll fit in with the
prevailing traffic, ignore the paint on the pavement.
Old March 6th 09, 04:11 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Phil Armstrong

Light of Aria wrote:

I am increasingly concerned / distressed / irritated by fools with
headphones on who meander along shared use cycle paths, whom upon
approaching, I sound the courtesy bells several times, and yet the
pedestrians do not acknowledge one's approach.

This sounds suspiciously like a piece of concern trolling to me.

Replace cyclist with car driver & pedestrian with cyclist in the OP's
rant. Does it still sound reasonable?

Shared use paths are just that: shared use. If you can't cope with a
pedestrian acting unpredictably then you're going too fast.

Phil

Old March 6th 09, 05:07 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mark[_15_]

On Fri, 6 Mar 2009 13:21:37 -0000, "Light of Aria"
wrote:

I am increasingly concerned / distressed / irritated by fools with
headphones on who meander along shared use cycle paths, whom upon
approaching, I sound the courtesy bells several times, and yet the
pedestrians do not acknowledge one's approach.

If one is proceeding along the green cycle lane, as designated, at
reasonable speed, sounds several courtesy warning bells, displays lighting,
reflective jackets, and white cycle helmets, what is the legal position
should the pedestrian suddenly veer from the pedestrian section into the
path of the cyclist without looking/shoulder checking/life-saver-ing?

I think you've spotted one of the inherant disadvantages in shared use
cycle paths thingys. I tend to avoid them if at all possible.

Can the cyclist sue the pedestrian? Could the pedestrian sue the cyclist.

You can sue. I doubt you would win.

--
(\__/) M.
See http://improve-usenet.org

Old March 6th 09, 05:38 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
aigle_de_la_route

"Light of Aria" wrote:

I am quite worried what my 35 Kilos of Bike
plus 84 Kilos of me plus 10 Kilos of luggage at 20KPH would
inflict on an errant mutt-brained pedestrian.

No more than they deserve.

What an asinine comment. When there are vulnerable and unpredictable
road users around, just bloody well slow down.

No, he's right. Car drivers should likewise knock off any cyclists who
get in their way, especially kids and grannies ...

If I do something 'asinine' on my bicycle whilst mingling with vehicles
far heavier and more destructive than my body and a Surly, then don't
cry for me. Cos it'll be no more than I deserve. We tolerate ****ing
idiots too much already. The world is full of them, and the world is
overcrowed.

If I ride like a ****wit, then I'll get a ****wit's reward. That seems
only fair. How is it any different when some retard walks on a cycle
path (you know, the bit of the ground with big ****ing bicycle symbols
on it?) wearing a set of earplugs and caring only for his sorry arse and
his music?

WTF happened to taking responsibility for one's stupidity?

--
aigle_de_la_route
Surly Long Haul Trucker
Old March 6th 09, 05:40 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Light of Aria[_2_]

"Phil Armstrong" wrote in message
Light of Aria wrote:

I am increasingly concerned / distressed / irritated by fools with
headphones on who meander along shared use cycle paths, whom upon
approaching, I sound the courtesy bells several times, and yet the
pedestrians do not acknowledge one's approach.

This sounds suspiciously like a piece of concern trolling to me.

Replace cyclist with car driver & pedestrian with cyclist in the OP's
rant. Does it still sound reasonable?

Shared use paths are just that: shared use. If you can't cope with a
pedestrian acting unpredictably then you're going too fast.

Phil

--
http://www.kantaka.co.uk/ .oOo. public key:
http://www.kantaka.co.uk/gpg.txt

More or less, I am of your opinion here. Shared use cyclists are adequate
for meandering along slowly but perilous above a certain speed.

I think the use of headphones on a shared use cycle path however to be as
unreasonable as drunk-driving and jumping red-lights.

Old March 6th 09, 05:52 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Light of Aria wrote:

[...]

....but more reasonable than riding in such a way as to be likely to
collide with a legitimate user of the path behaving in a predictable
manner perhaps?

How do you stand on the culpability of a road user who collides with a
small child who "runs out without warning or looking"? Is a deaf
pedestrian on a shared use cycle path as unreasonable as drunk-driving
and jumping red-lights?

best wishes
james