The drivers stopped by police in Hull and East Yorkshire this week

Old May 25th 20, 11:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

Default The drivers stopped by police in Hull and East Yorkshire thisweek

On 25/05/2020 23:05, TMS320 wrote:
On 25/05/2020 22:34, Simon Mason wrote:

QUOTE: Police have clocked a motorist speeding at 120mph on the M62...
...Â* which is 50mph over the 70mph speed limit.

"One driver was caught doing 116mph in a 60mph limit – almost double
the speed limit

I always wonder why it is necessary to embellish stories like this.
Though, given the way journalists (particularly the BBC) love to show
off their prowess with a calculator, I am surprised they haven't given
it as a percentage.

Just be grateful they've kept it in mph.

When the BBC reports any measurement of distance, they like to use
metric as first choice and imperial measures (the only ones with any
official status in the UK) as the dowdy runner-up.

I blame those trendy teachers at Holland Park Comp in the 70s and 80s.
Old May 26th 20, 12:03 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 25/05/2020 23:45, JNugent wrote:
On 25/05/2020 21:45, TMS320 wrote:
On 24/05/2020 20:59, JNugent wrote:
On 24/05/2020 14:09, TMS320 wrote:
On 24/05/2020 12:40, JNugent wrote:
Â*
https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/news...e-week-4159763

The people behind the wheels of those vehicles will soon be cyclists
(if they're not already).

It'll be all they're qualified for. And it could, on reflection,
explain a few things.

But any rule breaking will be an irritation, not a danger. Which
makes a difference.

Tell that to the bereaved relatives of the pedestrians.

Given the courts have very restricted punishments at their disposal to
drivers that kill, I expect turning the perpetrator into an irritant
is probably sometimes the best the relatives can hope for.

We were referring, of course, to cyclists who kill.

I am looking at statistics. What are you looking at?

I bet you'll try to get away bwith the old, old, lie, that cyclists
never hurt anyone.

You're still in denial about putting your convenience above the safety
of others.
Old May 26th 20, 12:47 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 25/05/2020 23:50, JNugent wrote:
On 25/05/2020 23:05, TMS320 wrote:
On 25/05/2020 22:34, Simon Mason wrote:

QUOTE: Police have clocked a motorist speeding at 120mph on the
M62... ... which is 50mph over the 70mph speed limit.

"One driver was caught doing 116mph in a 60mph limit – almost
double the speed limit

I always wonder why it is necessary to embellish stories like this.
Though, given the way journalists (particularly the BBC) love to
show off their prowess with a calculator, I am surprised they
haven't given it as a percentage.

Just be grateful they've kept it in mph.

My view is that it is daft that roads are still measured in miles.
Australia and New Zealand converted properly.

When the BBC reports any measurement of distance, they like to use
metric as first choice and imperial measures (the only ones with any
official status in the UK) as the dowdy runner-up.

Quite right too (except where we still keep old measures - as above).

I blame those trendy teachers at Holland Park Comp in the 70s and
80s.

I lived in metric land as a child. Yet in the class for ex-pat children
we still had to wade through tedious conversions between loads of weird
imperial units.
Old May 26th 20, 01:31 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 26/05/2020 00:03, TMS320 wrote:
[...]

Cyclist who kill (and injure).

I knew you wouldn't want to be looking at that, for some reason.

I bet you'll try to get away bwith the old, old, lie, that cyclists
never hurt anyone.

You're still in denial about putting your convenience above the safety
of others.

I threaten no-one's safety. I do not ignore red traffic lights and I do
not travel along footways unless on foot. Except in exceptionally rare
cases of on the spot error, I comply with one-way working.

Old May 26th 20, 08:34 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 26/05/2020 01:31, JNugent wrote:
[...]

I expect you could name every one.

I knew you wouldn't want to be looking at that, for some reason.

I bet you'll try to get away bwith the old, old, lie, that cyclists
never hurt anyone.

You're still in denial about putting your convenience above the safety
of others.

I threaten no-one's safety. I do not ignore red traffic lights and I do
not travel along footways unless on foot. Except in exceptionally rare
cases of on the spot error, I comply with one-way working.

Which confirms how you're in denial about your contribution to danger.
Old May 26th 20, 08:49 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Kelly[_2_]

JNugent wrote:

On 25/05/2020 14:28, Kelly wrote:

[ ... ]

I don't doubt some of the 'new cyclists' will indeed be previous
cyclists who thought they had graduated forever to becoming car
drivers but it was eventually found to be shown that they were not
responsible and capable enough to be allowed to drive such powerful
motor driven machines...

... and so could only be trusted with bicycles*, given their levels of
skill and sociopathy.

You won't find me in much disagreement with you on that.

Well, I believe I did say just about as much... and more.

[* Even that is only because the law effectively has to trust them with
bicycles.]

That's the law for you, not only written to protect our general safety
but also to ensure the rights of individuals. If some people can not
even be trusted with bicycles, however, there are yet further laws to
deal with them.

I guess there will always be people who think existing laws aren't
being enforced enough, or that new laws need to be added, to improve
given situations. But given how people differ so much in their worldly
views you are never going to please all the people all the time, are
you?

Old May 26th 20, 11:15 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pamela

On 08:34 26 May 2020, TMS320 said:

On 26/05/2020 01:31, JNugent wrote:
On 26/05/2020 00:03, TMS320 wrote:
On 25/05/2020 23:45, JNugent wrote:
On 25/05/2020 21:45, TMS320 wrote:
On 24/05/2020 20:59, JNugent wrote:
On 24/05/2020 14:09, TMS320 wrote:
On 24/05/2020 12:40, JNugent wrote:
Â*
https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/news...ast-yorkshire-

news/dri
vers-stopped-humberside-police-week-4159763

[...]

Could you kindly describe exactly which of Nugent's contributions to
danger, if any, you have in mind.
Old May 26th 20, 11:32 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

On Monday, May 25, 2020 at 10:56:54 PM UTC+1, TMS320 wrote:
On 25/05/2020 21:54, Simon Mason wrote:
On Monday, May 25, 2020 at 9:45:09 PM UTC+1, TMS320 wrote:

Given the courts have very restricted punishments at their disposal to
drivers that kill, I expect turning the perpetrator into an irritant is
probably sometimes the best the relatives can hope for.

How many innocent people do UK drivers kill every day now - is it 7 or 8?

800 pedestrians a year. 3800 KSI.

Whereas cyclists kill 0-1 people every year, usually people who walk into the road in front of one.
Old May 26th 20, 01:34 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 26/05/2020 11:15, Pamela wrote:
On 08:34 26 May 2020, TMS320 said:

On 26/05/2020 01:31, JNugent wrote:
On 26/05/2020 00:03, TMS320 wrote:
On 25/05/2020 23:45, JNugent wrote:
On 25/05/2020 21:45, TMS320 wrote:
On 24/05/2020 20:59, JNugent wrote:
On 24/05/2020 14:09, TMS320 wrote:
On 24/05/2020 12:40, JNugent wrote:
ÂÂ*
[...]

Don't be daft. He's as likely to do that as he is to condemn his own
footway cycling or the episodes where he screams at pedestrians to get
out of the effin' way, into the road and OFF THE PAVEMENT!
Old May 27th 20, 08:30 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

[...]

My definition of danger to pedestrians is that 3800 a year are KSId by
drivers. There can be no other metric.