Favorite biking snacks?

Old May 28th 20, 10:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

Default Favorite biking snacks?

Radey Shouman wrote:
Ralph Barone writes:

Radey Shouman wrote:
John B. writes:

On Wed, 27 May 2020 20:53:35 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Wednesday, May 27, 2020 at 5:38:47 PM UTC-5, wrote:

Paydays are excellent when you need some fast calories and don't mind
chewing a bit.

Unlike Jay I still have all of my teeth.

And why do you think Jay doesn't have a full complement of teeth? He
is an attorney. So I am guessing he makes at least the median US
income. So he should be able to afford a dental insurance plan. He
is an independent attorney, not employed by a firm. So he does have
to purchase his own plan. But I assume there are insurance plans
available to attorneys offices. So he is probably able to get
dental insurance through work, sort of, if he cannot purchase a
dental plan as an individual.

A serious question here. Can't the average USian afford dental care
without an insurance plan?

Dental insurance is not a panacea, even fairly good ones pay a small
fraction of major dental expenses. In my experience many USians can't
afford much dental care at all.

Of course, by definition, your average insurance premiums will exceed your
average claim costs, so if you can’t afford basic dental care without
insurance, you probably can’t afford it with insurance (unless somebody
else is subsidizing your premiums).

My experience with employer-paid dental insurance was that it paid for
routine cleaning, exams, and so forth, but paid little on expensive
procedures. Seems backwards from what insurance should be.

Agreed. Perhaps that’s the difference between a “dental care package” and
“dental insurance”.

Old May 29th 20, 12:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Thursday, May 28, 2020 at 2:50:43 PM UTC-7, James wrote:
On 27/5/20 3:58 am, Frank Krygowski wrote:
Riffing off the "bonk" thread:

For most of my family's bicycling career (now approaching 50 years) we
took various snacks along on rides greater than 25 miles or so. But
somehow, with changes in life and changes in riding habits, we seem to
have gotten out of that snack habit.

On a couple of recent mid-30 miler rides on country roads, my wife
didn't bonk, but she certainly ran out of steam. During one of them, I
happened to find a gel packet buried in my bag, so I gave her that. It
helped noticeably; so we should get back to carrying snacks.

But I'd prefer something a little more like food, a little less like a
medical infusion. Since we're no longer performance riders, actually
stopping the bike to eat would be OK. even though on solo rides I prefer
to keep moving.

What are people's preferences for on-bike snacks?

Bananas and fruit cake.

One benefit of fruit cake (if it is the typical US Christmas fruit cake) is that you can use it to boot tire casing cuts or throw at threatening mountain lions -- or dingos or angry koalas. I think you can even use to mend carbon fiber.

That was the one good thing about PowerBars -- the plastic/foil wrappers were really good for tire boots.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old May 29th 20, 01:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

wrote:

On Wednesday, May 27, 2020 at 5:38:47 PM UTC-5, wrote:

Paydays are excellent when you need some fast calories and don't mind
chewing a bit.

Unlike Jay I still have all of my teeth.

And why do you think Jay doesn't have a full complement of teeth? He is an attorney. So I am guessing he makes at least the median US income. So he should be able to afford a dental insurance plan. He is an independent attorney, not employed by a firm. So he does have to purchase his own plan. But I assume there are insurance plans available to attorneys offices. So he is probably able to get dental insurance through work, sort of, if he cannot purchase a dental plan as an individual.

A serious question here. Can't the average USian afford dental care
without an insurance plan?

In 1965 the ADA opted out of many new government programs,
unlike AMA. Hence there are still reasonably priced cash
dentists. Not so much for MDs.

I was wondering as when I lived there was no real problem in "going to
the dentist" but I read above the mention of "Dental Insurance".
--
cheers,

John B.

Old May 29th 20, 03:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 5/28/2020 7:51 PM, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

I actually love the fruit cake one family member gives me every
Christmas. And it does seem like it would be good for riding fuel.

I'm appreciating all the ideas, folks. Thanks.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old May 29th 20, 03:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

wrote:

[...]

Dental insurance, or a dental care plan, or whatever really doesn't
change much in my experience. Simple cavities and preventive care are
reasonably affordable for those with good jobs, but the upper limit of
dental expenses has gone way up. My wife got a mouthful of implants a
few years ago, and it cost enough to buy a better car than I have ever
considered having. I had dental insurance through my employer, which
paid very little, and made no difference whatsoever in choosing a course
of treatment.

The alternative, of course, would have been dentures, which are still
much, much better than gumming all your food.
Old May 29th 20, 05:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

wrote:

[...]

Some years ago I contemplated implants but in researching it seemed
that they install a metal stud and then wait for a period to ensure
that it becomes firmly attached and then add the "denture". But if the
initial stud doesn't become firmly attached than they remove the stud
and go no further. Or at least that was the way it was explained to
me. I thought about a mouth full of studs some of which were good and
could "hold" a tooth, and some of which couldn't be used and would be
replaced by what? Some sort of denture? And decided against them.

As for gumming your food... it depends greatly on what sort of food
you are eating :-) Chocolate cake, for example, gums quite well :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Old May 29th 20, 04:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wednesday, May 27, 2020 at 8:53:38 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Wednesday, May 27, 2020 at 5:38:47 PM UTC-5, wrote:

Paydays are excellent when you need some fast calories and don't mind
chewing a bit.

Unlike Jay I still have all of my teeth.

And why do you think Jay doesn't have a full complement of teeth? He is an attorney. So I am guessing he makes at least the median US income. So he should be able to afford a dental insurance plan. He is an independent attorney, not employed by a firm. So he does have to purchase his own plan.. But I assume there are insurance plans available to attorneys offices. So he is probably able to get dental insurance through work, sort of, if he cannot purchase a dental plan as an individual.

That is a joke Russell, you should learn to recognize them. They occur often in polite society. Not everything in the world is worthy of serious discussion.

Come on now - best snacks for bike riding? I had nothing yesterday and rode in bright sunlight near noon for 35 miles and 2,000 feet of climbing. ANYTHING would have been effective - even a donut. Instead I was totally exhausted when I got home plus sunburned arms and nothing in the house to eat or drink. I drank a pint of ice water and went to the store to get some beer. I was almost comatose until the middle of the night when a light dinner of pasta primavera digested.

Old May 29th 20, 04:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, May 28, 2020 at 7:52:46 AM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
On Wednesday, May 27, 2020 at 8:53:38 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Wednesday, May 27, 2020 at 5:38:47 PM UTC-5, wrote:

Paydays are excellent when you need some fast calories and don't mind
chewing a bit.

Unlike Jay I still have all of my teeth.

And why do you think Jay doesn't have a full complement of teeth? He is an attorney. So I am guessing he makes at least the median US income. So he should be able to afford a dental insurance plan. He is an independent attorney, not employed by a firm. So he does have to purchase his own plan. But I assume there are insurance plans available to attorneys offices. So he is probably able to get dental insurance through work, sort of, if he cannot purchase a dental plan as an individual.

Tom fancies himself a humorist, among many other things -- nuclear scientist, world-renowned epidemiologist, physician, surgeon, economist, diplomat, war hero, etc., etc. Its enough to exhaust Walter Mitty.

Dental insurance is a joke, but yes, I've been buying my own coverage (and family coverage) since 1993, the last time I was a W2 employee.

I like Paydays, but you can inhale peanuts while riding hard, and they're not that easy to digest. And if I'm going to eat a peanut-containing candy bar on the bike, it will be a Snickers. Much higher energy. Food of the Pro Tour. But Donettes are my preferred junk, assuming I run out of jersey food (Cliff Bar, GU pack). If I run out of food riding during the mid-summer, I just eat black berries. They're everywhere in the PNW.

-- Jay Beattie.

Unlike you I actually quote the CDC and not Time Magazine or the New York Times. Perhaps you believe that your office will be unaffected. Watch and learn.
Old May 29th 20, 05:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, May 28, 2020 at 10:02:01 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 5/28/2020 10:52 AM, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

For a glorious week or so very soon, we should have mulberry trees full
of berries, which are my favorite "found" snack while cycling.

I don't know how common these are in other areas. I once came across a
thicket of them in Iowa, but nowhere else I remember. I've been told
they are more common here because some of our many Italian immigrants
loved them.

An alternative theory is that they're descendants of a mulberry craze in
Connecticut in the early 1800s. Our area was, pre-1776, part of
Connecticut, according to Connecticut's charter. (That was disputed by
Virginia.) The "Connecticut Western Reserve" was retained by that state
for a while when the Northwest Ordinance made Ohio a possibility. So
this area was first settled by folks from Connecticut.

Mulberries are tasty, sweet and very messy. About this time of year I'll
return home from a ride with dark blue stains on my gloves and cycling
shoes.

Most immigrants brought all sorts of plants of what they considered food plants and trees. Near where I live is an area called Cherryland which used to be acres and acres of farmed cherries which is from Asia via the Greeks moving to the USA. My area used to be thick with Fennel brought by Italian immigrants. For reasons unknown to sane people, they replaced the chopped down coastal redwoods with Eucalyptus from Australia. These are a pox upon the Earth and are the largest fire hazards in the area.

Olive trees brought here from Spain and then Italy and Croatia. Sunflowers and beets from France. Beets used for sugar began in California in 1830.

Most of the native American food plants have disappeared and biodiversity across the globe has disappeared.
Old May 29th 20, 05:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

[...]

It cost me $1,300+ for one dental implant. That despite belonging to the dentists own insurance group. I have a half dozen implants and look forward to four more as they become necessary.

what's your favorite protein bar? webdevguy Racing 1 January 15th 09 04:44 PM
My new favorite (again) uni accessory tomblackwood Unicycling 19 February 6th 08 10:15 PM
Favorite multitool DeF Australia 1 April 17th 07 07:34 AM
RR: The old favorite GeeDubb Mountain Biking 12 February 27th 06 08:22 PM
Your Favorite MTB Al Kubeluis Mountain Biking 20 January 24th 05 08:06 PM