Air Compressor

Old March 18th 05, 02:01 AM
[]

Default Air Compressor

That's a stupid theory. It will be consistant. That is, consistantly
under-inflated.

It's not such a big deal with cars etc but on a motorbike, tyre pressure is
very important.

I already have a high quality tyre pressure reader. The problem is that I
ride down to the service station and hence warm up the tyres.

I thought I could score a bargain with one of these super cheap auto
compressors but if they can't even pump up to 100 PSI (yet the ad claims at
least 120 PSI) then there is no point since I need 100 PSI for my new MTB
slicks.

"Resound" wrote in message
- It's best to check tyre pressure when the tyre is cold.

Didn't know that. Does it actually make a difference?

It does, in as much as you'll see a higher pressure when the tyres are

warm
(air expands, or tries to, as temp goes up) but if you always check when
they're warm, them you'll be consistant anyway.

Old March 18th 05, 02:32 AM
Andrew D

"[]" wrote in message
I am looking at a Super Cheap Auto catalogue and there are some cheap air
compressor for sale. Does anybody use one of these for their bike tyres?

In the picture the compressor comes with Alligator clips for connecting to
battery but it doesn't look like there is a power cord for a normal
powerpoint? Is there any easier of powering the unit rather than having a
spare 12V battery?

If you are after quick inflation, forget using a small compressor from
SuperCheap or similar, you'll get higher pressure and faster inflation with
a good hand pump or a floor/track pump. Those little compressors have
no/very small storage reservoir and tiny little pistons that probably won't
be able to reach 100psi after 6 months of use. Spend your $ on a good manual
pump.

Tyres may want 100psi, checked if your tubes are good for it ?

If you are just "labour saving", watch out for distractions that take you
away from the compressor whilst it is running, lest you hear the odd "pop"
which will probably be a big tear in a tube, usually not repairable.

Andrew D

Old March 18th 05, 04:34 AM
John Henderson

Andrew D wrote:

If you are after quick inflation, forget using a small
compressor from SuperCheap or similar, you'll get higher
pressure and faster inflation with a good hand pump or a
floor/track pump. Those little compressors have no/very small
storage reservoir and tiny little pistons that probably won't
be able to reach 100psi after 6 months of use. Spend your $ on
a good manual pump.

This isn't my experience. They inflate bike tyres reasonably
fast (about a minute from flat), and retain the ability to pump
to high pressures until they fail.

I've disassembled the failures, and found that it's either
deteriorated rubber flap valves, or wear on the "big end
bearing" (too sloppy to stay connected) that causes the demise.
From either cause, my units have failed quite suddenly when
their time's up.

4WD magazines I've read in waiting rooms (to see how the other
half lives) suggest strongly that it's the cheap 12V
compressors that don't last long.

John

Old March 18th 05, 09:58 AM
Parbs

"TimC" wrote in message ...
On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 at 11:17 GMT, Jay Woo (aka Bruce)
Yep, I use it for both my roadie and my MTB. I can get 120psi no
worries
Mine's got a cigie lighter connector on it. They would draw a bucket
load of current, so if you wanted to run it off mains you would need a
dirty great big voltage converter. That's why they run off car batts,
it makes them cheap to make.

Do they have pressure gauges?

I might just have to investigate...

Yes. I have one too but keep losing presta valve adaptors. A track pump is usually more convenient and quieter.

Parbs

Old March 18th 05, 10:08 AM
Parbs

"Andrew D" wrote in message...

snip

Tyres may want 100psi, checked if your tubes are good for it ?

snip

Or your rims?

Parbs

Old March 18th 05, 12:13 PM
Peter Signorini

"hemyd" wrote in message
u...

"[]" wrote in message
news
Only 75 PSI?

I need at least 100 PSI for my MTB tyres.

I think the one I have would be struggling to go beyond 90. But then, it's
bit old in the tooth, with loose connection to the gauge.

Henry.

I also have a proper large 240 volt compressor - small industrial rather
than for pumping up bicycle tyres. Trouble is that it's very noisy and

takes
a long time before the cylinder fills up. Even then it struggles on the
higher PSIs.

Don't see what is wrong with a good track pump. My Silca is good value, uses
a renewable power supply, has an accurate gauge, is fairly quiet, gives me
an upper body workout and the batteries don't run out. Hell I sometimes even
use it to check the car tyres too.

Cheers
Peter