The Ugly Baby is Born!

Old January 31st 04, 03:18 AM
Bill Porter

Default The Ugly Baby is Born!

Miles had his fourth for his SS Tucson team bail out so he asked to
join the team early this week. The thing is that I have always been on
the MTB 12 step program (3 in front, 9 in back). Now I have been
itching to try out the SS thing for a while but up until now have not
had enough motivation. So with all of the challenges of getting a bike
together, getting a little time on the bike and then racing I said
what the heck. So I put down a couple hundred bones for a Redline
Monocog frame and wheelset (I know some bad reviews but hey it was
cheap). The rest I had laying around for the most part.

I have dubbed this ride "The Ugly Baby" (The one no one wants to hold)

http://www.mountainbikebill.com/imag...onoCogSide.jpg

Tomorrow I take her out for a shake down cruise. Wish my Quads Luck!

Bill Porter
www.mountainbikebill.com

Old January 31st 04, 04:28 AM
Dave W

I have dubbed this ride "The Ugly Baby" (The one no one wants to hold)

http://www.mountainbikebill.com/imag...onoCogSide.jpg

aaarrrrrggghhhhh!! My eyes! And the name is apropos!

Tomorrow I take her out for a shake down cruise. Wish my Quads Luck!

Good luck, and welcome to alt.single-speed!

Bill Porter
www.mountainbikebill.com

Old January 31st 04, 04:44 AM
Slacker

(3 in front, 9 in back)

"Uhh, paging Sorni...

Code Blue."

http://www.mountainbikebill.com/imag...onoCogSide.jpg

Tomorrow I take her out for a shake down cruise. Wish my Quads Luck!

Bill Porter

Please, sandbagging is really unbecoming!
--
Slacker

Old January 31st 04, 05:31 AM
Michael Paul

"Bill Porter" wrote in message
Miles had his fourth for his SS Tucson team bail out so he asked to
join the team early this week. The thing is that I have always been on
the MTB 12 step program (3 in front, 9 in back). Now I have been
itching to try out the SS thing for a while but up until now have not
had enough motivation. So with all of the challenges of getting a bike
together, getting a little time on the bike and then racing I said
what the heck. So I put down a couple hundred bones for a Redline
Monocog frame and wheelset (I know some bad reviews but hey it was
cheap). The rest I had laying around for the most part.

I have dubbed this ride "The Ugly Baby" (The one no one wants to hold)

http://www.mountainbikebill.com/imag...onoCogSide.jpg

Tomorrow I take her out for a shake down cruise. Wish my Quads Luck!

Bill Porter
www.mountainbikebill.com

everybody knows that you don't think your own kids are ugly.........that's
for others to decide!

I just think it's funny (interesting) how you drop 4,500 on a Spyder but
build up a SS for 200 bucks! where's the priorities?

you do know that the new bike has slighlty less travel in the back than what
you're used to right? Considering you've been on a HT what, once in three
years you better leave the Spyder home for all your rides in the next two
weeks. Then, let me borrow it since it should fit just fine! :-)

Michael

Old January 31st 04, 03:16 PM
FlyingCoyote

In ,
Bill Porter scribbled:

http://www.mountainbikebill.com/imag...onoCogSide.jpg

Bill Porter
www.mountainbikebill.com

Beautiful! Except for that suspension fork.

Rigid, baby!

--

FlyingCoyote
http://boarsgut.com

Old February 1st 04, 01:52 AM
Bill Porter

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 03:18:04 GMT,
(Bill Porter) wrote:

Miles had his fourth for his SS Tucson team bail out so he asked to
join the team early this week. The thing is that I have always been on
the MTB 12 step program (3 in front, 9 in back). Now I have been
itching to try out the SS thing for a while but up until now have not
had enough motivation. So with all of the challenges of getting a bike
together, getting a little time on the bike and then racing I said
what the heck. So I put down a couple hundred bones for a Redline
Monocog frame and wheelset (I know some bad reviews but hey it was
cheap). The rest I had laying around for the most part.

I have dubbed this ride "The Ugly Baby" (The one no one wants to hold)

http://www.mountainbikebill.com/imag...onoCogSide.jpg

Tomorrow I take her out for a shake down cruise. Wish my Quads Luck!

Bill Porter
www.mountainbikebill.com

- Maiden Voyage RR -
So I got out on the Ugly Baby today and I must say it was pretty cool.
I really like the speed at which you climb on one of these things. I
expected my quads to be burning on a couple of the climbs but that was
not all that bad. However I spent more time in the anaerobic zone on
this trail today than have ever before. I have yet to find my form for
using all of my body on the hard out of the saddle efforts. There was
several times were I got it right and I could tell a difference that
very instant. However most of the time was spent floundering around
out of the saddle. I made it up every thing, but I sure could tell I
was wasting energy. There was one climb (Cobbles) were my arms felt
more like Jello than my legs at the top. What a full body workout. I'm
also glad I have a lockout on the fork, I came in real handy.

Oh well, I just have ride ride and ride some more before the TucSSon
race!

Bill Porter
www.mountainbikebill.com

Old February 3rd 04, 02:10 PM
Gman

[...]

Looks pretty darn good to me man...welcome to
assimilation. Maybe I'll get back down to see my
bud in C'bad one-o-these days and we can hit the
flightline!

I did not have a chance to explore that riding
area much last time we were there, but it looks
like it would be a mighty fun SS playground (just
got a look at if from the Mt Calavera side across
all those "NO TRESPASSING" signs).

Old February 4th 04, 01:51 AM
Bill Porter

On 3 Feb 2004 14:10:45 GMT, Gman wrote:

Looks pretty darn good to me man...welcome to
assimilation. Maybe I'll get back down to see my
bud in C'bad one-o-these days and we can hit the
flightline!

I did not have a chance to explore that riding
area much last time we were there, but it looks
like it would be a mighty fun SS playground (just
got a look at if from the Mt Calavera side across
all those "NO TRESPASSING" signs).

No Trespassing Signs? Never seem em, really.
I have not given Calavera any lovin in a while, I need to get back out
there. Maybe a Calavera - Flightline Combo.

Bill Porter
www.mountainbikebill.com