Bottom bracket exposed

Old April 14th 05, 01:56 PM
Walter Mitty

Default Bottom bracket exposed

I recently had a new BB installed to support some new Ritchey WCS cranks.

The BB extends from the frame by about 4 mm on the left hand crank side.
There is no lock ring to protect the thread. Should there be?
Old April 14th 05, 04:26 PM
Werehatrack

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 14:56:42 +0200, Walter Mitty
wrote:

I recently had a new BB installed to support some new Ritchey WCS cranks.

The BB extends from the frame by about 4 mm on the left hand crank side.
There is no lock ring to protect the thread. Should there be?

If what you're looking at has external threads on it, that's the
left-hand support bushing. No locknut is needed. That much
protrusion is not unusual. Nothing to fix as long as it's the right
part for the frame. (If a 73mm BB was installed in a 68mm frame,
about 6mm of bushing would be sticking out in my experience. This
doesn't sound like that situation, so I wouldn't worry.)
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
Old April 14th 05, 06:10 PM
Derek Hodges

Walter Mitty wrote:

I recently had a new BB installed to support some new Ritchey WCS cranks.

The BB extends from the frame by about 4 mm on the left hand crank side.
There is no lock ring to protect the thread. Should there be?

I'd get a second opinion on the BB being right for the frame. Back when
I was leaving such things to other people, someone installed a too long
spindle (it was an old style cup and spindle setup) on my bike. It
didn't hold for long. Try showing it to another bike shop.

Derek Hodges
Toronto
Old April 15th 05, 02:05 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

Walter Mitty wrote:

I recently had a new BB installed to support some new Ritchey WCS cranks.

The BB extends from the frame by about 4 mm on the left hand crank side.
There is no lock ring to protect the thread. Should there be?

Sounds like a Octalink BB and having that much of the left cup showing
on the left side of the BB cup is unusual. No lockring but it sould be
farther into the frame.