Can you mount your bike from wrong side?

Old September 2nd 07, 01:43 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
zzapper

Default Can you mount your bike from wrong side?

Hi
Yesterday out of curiosity I tried to mount my bike from the wrong
side, it felt very odd and I found it impossible. Until then I wasn't
even aware that I always got on from the same side.

Questions:-
Am I the only one?
I'm left handed and get on from the left, do right-handers get on from
the right?
Presumably you can train yourself to overcome this?

(Hope this isn't an old chestnut, I'm only an occasional poster here)

--
zzapper
At last I've found a healthy energy drink

http://www.drinkact.com/thesuccess/

Old September 2nd 07, 01:49 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
LSMike

On Sep 2, 1:43 pm, zzapper wrote:
Hi
Yesterday out of curiosity I tried to mount my bike from the wrong
side, it felt very odd and I found it impossible. Until then I wasn't
even aware that I always got on from the same side.

Questions:-
Am I the only one?
I'm left handed and get on from the left, do right-handers get on from
the right?
Presumably you can train yourself to overcome this?

(Hope this isn't an old chestnut, I'm only an occasional poster here)

I can, and regularly do. I also make sure to start with the "wrong"
foot often. I've managed enough starts now that I almost don't notice
the difference any more. Riding a fixed upright helps, as it's often
easier and quicker to leave whichever foot comes to the power position
rather than putting on the front brake, lifting the rear wheel, and
spinning round to the default.

I'm not so hot yet on putting the right hand down on my 'bent, but
that's coming.

Old September 2nd 07, 01:57 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Raven[_2_]

zzapper wrote in news:1188736986.007481.315830
@w3g2000hsg.googlegroups.com:

Questions:-
Am I the only one?
I'm left handed and get on from the left, do right-handers get on from
the right?
Presumably you can train yourself to overcome this?

(Hope this isn't an old chestnut, I'm only an occasional poster here)

I mount from both sides although the left is my prefered side (and I am
righ handed so I think its more to do with starting on the side away from
the traffic on UK roads)

--
Tony

" I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong."
Bertrand Russell
Old September 2nd 07, 02:08 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Clive George

"zzapper" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi
Yesterday out of curiosity I tried to mount my bike from the wrong
side, it felt very odd and I found it impossible. Until then I wasn't
even aware that I always got on from the same side.

Questions:-
Am I the only one?
I'm left handed and get on from the left, do right-handers get on from
the right?
Presumably you can train yourself to overcome this?

I definitely find it odd getting on from the wrong side, but can do it.

cheers,
clive

Old September 2nd 07, 02:44 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nick Kew

On Sun, 02 Sep 2007 05:43:06 -0700
zzapper wrote:

Questions:-
Am I the only one?
I'm left handed and get on from the left, do right-handers get on from
the right?
Presumably you can train yourself to overcome this?

Many years ago I was ambimountrous[1]. Then I took motorcycle training,
which explained why some roles were reserved for one particular hand
or leg. It made sense, and I took to applying the training on the bike,
as well as the motorbike.

But it's basically what you're used to. I'm right-handed, and now
mount the bike from the left. Some things become habit, including
the act of swinging the right leg over, to the extent that I do it
even on the folding bike, where I could easily just step over.

[1] sorry ...

--
not me guv
Old September 2nd 07, 03:44 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Josey

"Nick Kew" wrote in message

Many years ago I was ambimountrous[1].

I'm ambimountrous too, it makes no difference and doesn't feel strange
either way.

The bike is always well in motion before I swing my leg over though.

Jc.

Old September 2nd 07, 04:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pete Biggs

zzapper wrote:
Hi
Yesterday out of curiosity I tried to mount my bike from the wrong
side, it felt very odd and I found it impossible. Until then I wasn't
even aware that I always got on from the same side.

Questions:-
Am I the only one?

No, I find it weird and difficult to get on from the "wrong" side.

I'm left handed and get on from the left, do right-handers get on from
the right?

I'm a righty. I suppose I got used to mounting from the left because it's
handy to stand on the kerb. Didn't bother trying to retrain myself while in
Canada recently. Old dogs and all that.

~PB

Old September 2nd 07, 04:30 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Marc

Clive George wrote:
"zzapper" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi
Yesterday out of curiosity I tried to mount my bike from the wrong
side, it felt very odd and I found it impossible. Until then I wasn't
even aware that I always got on from the same side.

Questions:-
Am I the only one?
I'm left handed and get on from the left, do right-handers get on from
the right?
Presumably you can train yourself to overcome this?

I definitely find it odd getting on from the wrong side, but can do it.

Aol Mode

Me too!

Aol Mode
Old September 2nd 07, 05:11 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
vernon

"Pete Biggs" wrote in
message ...
zzapper wrote:
Hi
Yesterday out of curiosity I tried to mount my bike from the wrong
side, it felt very odd and I found it impossible. Until then I wasn't
even aware that I always got on from the same side.

Questions:-
Am I the only one?

No, I find it weird and difficult to get on from the "wrong" side.

I'm left handed and get on from the left, do right-handers get on from
the right?

I'm a righty. I suppose I got used to mounting from the left because it's
handy to stand on the kerb. Didn't bother trying to retrain myself while
in Canada recently. Old dogs and all that.

~PB

I tried mounting from the 'wrong side' whilst in France as it waould have
been advantageous. It felt most weird and I gave up after three seperate
unsuccesssful attempts. I felt particularly insecure when clipped in with
the 'wrong' SPD'd foot.

Old September 2nd 07, 05:58 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Geoff Pearson

"vernon" wrote in message

"Pete Biggs" wrote in
message ...
zzapper wrote:
[...]

All these posts and not one smutty remark - must be Sunday.

The British drive on the wrong side in more ways than one [email protected] Techniques 10 June 7th 07 09:59 AM
side-mount on Coker success! leadpan Unicycling 4 October 4th 05 11:31 PM
Wrong Side Of The Road winnard Social Issues 33 August 10th 05 03:22 PM
side-mount question leadpan Unicycling 2 July 28th 05 05:13 AM
Side mount with foot around twice Rockey Unicycling 2 December 24th 03 06:16 PM