Wind noise abatement

Old November 23rd 04, 05:12 PM
Leo Lichtman

"Ben Kaufman" wrote: (clip) Additionally, many of them can pin their ears
down when it's helpful - such as in combat.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
So, why don't you try "pinning" your ears back, say with adhesive tape, and
see whether it helps. It might actually work, since it will smooth the air
flow over your ears.

Old November 23rd 04, 10:21 PM
Frank Drackman

"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message

"Ben Kaufman" wrote: (clip) Additionally, many of them can pin their ears
down when it's helpful - such as in combat.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
So, why don't you try "pinning" your ears back, say with adhesive tape,
and see whether it helps. It might actually work, since it will smooth
the air flow over your ears.

Don't do it! Marco did it and we all know what happened to him.

Old November 24th 04, 04:08 AM
Ben Kaufman

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 17:12:41 GMT, "Leo Lichtman"
wrote:

"Ben Kaufman" wrote: (clip) Additionally, many of them can pin their ears
down when it's helpful - such as in combat.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
So, why don't you try "pinning" your ears back, say with adhesive tape, and
see whether it helps. It might actually work, since it will smooth the air
flow over your ears.

I wasn't the one with the problem. My ears don't stick out much. :-)
I don't notice too much air noise unless I'm doing close to 30.

Ben
Old November 25th 04, 05:36 AM
Collin

Alfred Ryder wrote:
"Dej" wrote in message

"Alfred Ryder" wrote in message
link.net...

Any suggestions for reducing the wind noise while riding?

snip

try 'hearos high fidelity' earplugs, cost about $15us
i use them when rehersing / gigging with my band and also while riding.
(they are washable & reusable)
they cut the level of noise, but you can still hear everything (including
the click of my shifters)

I find the effect of wind noise over a 5-6 hour ride is about the same as
playing loud music in a smallish rehersal room

Thanks for the reference. I did not know about high fidelity ear plugs. I
also will recommend them to my jazz playing son.

By the way, my assumption is that not everyone's ears cause a wind roar. And
what possible evolutionary advantage would such a noise have? Wouldn't it be
a distinct disadvantage to a carnivore when hunting or when in combat?

Keep in mind that humans didn't evolve in constant 15mph+ wind tunnels.
People also have omnidirectional ears because we've evolved from animals
that *were* the meal. Hunting wasn't easy to do until sharp tools were
invented. Have you also noticed that animals that hunt, like dogs and
cats, have fur inside their ears, which does cut wind noise a little.
Don't you wish you had fur in your ears? Oh, maybe not. Earplugs should
suffice, eh?
Old November 25th 04, 05:55 AM
B i l l S o r n s o n

Ewww. (Visions of weird old guys outside liquor stores)

--
BS (no, really)

Old November 25th 04, 08:34 PM
Blair P. Houghton

Alfred Ryder wrote:
Ear plugs probably would work but have the unacceptable side effect of
rendering me effectively deaf. Is there a headband that would not look too
dorky and would not be too hot in the summer?

Ah. You put conditions on it. I wear a thin headband when
it's cold enough but not too cold to ride, and losing the
wind noise is a nice side benefit.

Is anyone else bothered by wind noise? Has anyone found a solution?

Turn up the music, or stop worrying how dorky you look.

--Blair
"I mean, you're already wearing
padded spandex knickers, the tightest
shirt you or any of your neighbors owns,
gloves with the fingers cut off, peds,
ballet slippers, and you have a shiny
polycarbonate mixing bowl on your head...
I say, live a little."
Old November 25th 04, 08:37 PM
Blair P. Houghton

Ron Hardin wrote:
Bose noise-cancelling headphones. They don't fit over a helmet though.

I used to have a pair that were ear-buds.

They cancel some (mostly low-frequency hum) noise, but
insert others (a slight hiss), and get confused by random
noise like the wind, so they'd probably not be as good as
streamlining your ear opening is.

--Blair
"Hey. You could pipe in the sound
of a tailwind."
Old November 26th 04, 01:30 AM
Greg

Have you also noticed that animals that hunt, like dogs and
cats, have fur inside their ears, which does cut wind noise a little.
Don't you wish you had fur in your ears? Oh, maybe not. Earplugs should
suffice, eh?

Fur in your ears is a good idea. The same as fur in your nose, it
keeps foreign stuff out. Have you ever had a bee crawl inside you ear,
down the canal? It can drive you nearly insane.

As far as earplugs, and with regard to an earlier post, some earplugs
do indeed make you deaf for all practical purposes. The foam kind that
you roll between your fingers then insert into the ear canal, then let
them expand, reduce your hearing to virtually zero if installed
correctly.

Greg

The wind.... David Waters UK 5 March 21st 04 02:27 AM
MP3 Players and Cycling Wind Noise B. Lafferty Techniques 40 January 12th 04 02:00 PM