Studded tires for winter

Old November 27th 04, 06:16 AM
Chris C

Default Studded tires for winter

i am looking at getting a pair. I want to ride in the winter (first time).
Any recommendations ? Size is 26x1.95 Thanks

Old November 27th 04, 05:21 PM
mark

"Chris C" wrote...
i am looking at getting a pair. I want to ride in the winter (first time).
Any recommendations ? Size is 26x1.95 Thanks

Nokian makes a range of studded bicycle tires that are truly excellent. I've
been commuting on the Hakkapellitta (sp?) W106 (106 studs per tire) for the
last 3 winters, starting my 4th winter on the same pair. Very durable, good
traction, but rather heavy and a bit slow on pavement. They make models with
up to 300 studs per tire for more extreme use, but the 106 stud model is
excellent for commuting on snow packed or icy roads. Mine are 26 x 1.95, the
more extreme models are wider. They also offer 700C studded tires. Check
www.peterwhitecycles.com for more info.
--
mark

Old November 27th 04, 05:48 PM
Stephen Harding

mark wrote:

"Chris C" wrote...

i am looking at getting a pair. I want to ride in the winter (first time).
Any recommendations ? Size is 26x1.95 Thanks

Nokian makes a range of studded bicycle tires that are truly excellent. I've
been commuting on the Hakkapellitta (sp?) W106 (106 studs per tire) for the
last 3 winters, starting my 4th winter on the same pair. Very durable, good
traction, but rather heavy and a bit slow on pavement. They make models with
up to 300 studs per tire for more extreme use, but the 106 stud model is
excellent for commuting on snow packed or icy roads. Mine are 26 x 1.95, the
more extreme models are wider. They also offer 700C studded tires. Check
www.peterwhitecycles.com for more info.

I too have this tire and have been using it now for 3 winters.
Very good results on the ice, and actually not too bad on pavement
if pumped up hard.

I have come to the conclusion though, that the narrower tire is
actually better for the snow environment (just as they are for
automobiles).

If they are studded, the narrow width doesn't put you at much of
a disadvantage when passing over ice, but if you're in snow, the
narrower width doesn't tend to "plow" over the snow. You sink into
it, and slice through it better.

Next time, I think I'll go for the narrower sized studded tire.
I *think* they make a 1.5" tire in 26 size, but I may be thinking
of the 700C sized wheel.

SMH

No more studded tires Per Elmsäter Mountain Biking 4 April 2nd 04 10:29 AM
Studded tires R Christensen General 2 January 27th 04 04:40 PM
20" Studded Tires - Icy Pavement David Cambon Recumbent Biking 8 December 16th 03 10:41 AM
Studded tires at Nashbar rorschandt Recumbent Biking 1 November 24th 03 03:41 AM