Buying bikes on Ebay

Old August 2nd 03, 07:14 AM
Chris Neary

Default Buying bikes on Ebay

- Are they overpriced? I hate to get caught up in a bidding competition.

- On the other hand, I've seen some great bikes go for relatively low
prices.

I've never bought a bike, but I have bought other stuff.

I think you're on to a key point: research what stuff is going for, decide
if that seems a fair price, and then stick to that price range in your
bidding.

If the bidding goes higher than your price, move on to the next auction.
Odds are you will eventually win one.

Chris Neary

"Science, freedom, beauty, adventu what more could
you ask of life? Bicycling combined all the elements I
loved" - Adapted from a quotation by Charles Lindbergh
Old August 2nd 03, 07:50 AM
Mike Jacoubowsky

If you're not buying your first road bike, and have the fit all figured out,
eBay could be a decent way to snag a bike. However, I've seen a lot of
bikes on eBay go for a lot more than they're worth, including at least one
bike from a good customer of ours that had been pretty much ridden into the
ground and yet fetched quite a bit of money.

Fit is key. If you can find a good shop that pays a lot of attention to
getting you properly fit, that may very well be a worthwhile expense, and
something you should factor into the price. You also have the benefit of a
local place that maintains a sense of ownership in your bike, in the event
that something isn't quite right. But if you've already had road bikes,
know what fits you and have no issues working on your own bike, then you
just may find that perfect bike out there being discarded by someone who
didn't really have the bike bug.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

"Jeff Sutton" wrote in message
I'm in the market for a road bike, but I don't really want to spring for

the
full-price, shop-floor model. I never buy a new car, and for the same
reasons don't really want to buy a new bike.

What are the ups and downs of buying a bike on EBAY? Things that worry me:

- Are they overpriced? I hate to get caught up in a bidding competition.

- Do you worry about perhaps buying a stolen bike?

- I always figured the really good deals would be bought up by locals who
could actually examine the bike.

- My main problem with EBAY is a variation of Groucho's complaint: "If I
win the bid, it's probably not a good deal"

- On the other hand, I've seen some great bikes go for relatively low
prices.

Any comments? Experiences of those who purchased a bike on EBAY?

Thanks!

Old August 2nd 03, 02:05 PM
Fred

"Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote in message
.com...
[...]

I disagree that prices on Ebay are high. At the moment they are quite low.
I do agree that it makes sense to buy a first bike, at least, from a dealer
who can fit you and match the equipment to your needs. If you know what you
need and what fits then there are some incredible bargains on Ebay.

Fred
Knife Outlet
http://www.knifeoutlet.com

Old August 2nd 03, 02:54 PM
Robin

Jeff Sutton wrote:
I'm in the market for a road bike, but I don't really want to spring
for the full-price, shop-floor model. I never buy a new car, and for
the same reasons don't really want to buy a new bike.

What are the ups and downs of buying a bike on EBAY? Things that
worry me:

- Are they overpriced? I hate to get caught up in a bidding
competition.

- Do you worry about perhaps buying a stolen bike?

- I always figured the really good deals would be bought up by locals
who could actually examine the bike.

- My main problem with EBAY is a variation of Groucho's complaint:
"If I win the bid, it's probably not a good deal"

- On the other hand, I've seen some great bikes go for relatively low
prices.

Any comments? Experiences of those who purchased a bike on EBAY?

Thanks!

Try looking for discounts on last years models etc. That way you can get a
good bike and be fitted.

Robin

Old August 2nd 03, 05:37 PM
Tom S

The '03 model year is over and several local shops have '03s they want to
move to get ready for the '04 models. I wouldn't be surprised if some of
your LBS were doing the same thing. Also, take a look at used bikes in the
shops; my LBS found me a great deal on a basically new (but used pricing)
Trek 2300. I'm happy, the seller was happy, the shop was happy.

--
Tom Scanlin

Old August 2nd 03, 07:45 PM
John

I recently bought a Trek 2200 off Ebay. The bike was brand new.
Things you need to know:

Make sure of the model you want to buy and that you are comfortable
with the fit (this will require you go to a LBS.)

Make sure you know what condition you are getting the bike in. What
assembly is required? Has the bike already been set up and adjusted
(shifting, brakes, etc.)

What are the return policies?

The bike I bought was fine except it required more assembly than the
seller indicated. The shifting points had not been adjusted. There
was some lubrication that was not done which resulted in an awful
creaking. No manuals were included with the bike.

The bike had about a $200 discount off retail. However, I had to take
it to a LBS for setup and this added around $50. Unless you are
getting a VERY deep discount the advantages of buying at the LBS
outweigh the uncertainties of buying off the internet.

[...]

Belgium/Netherlands touring bikes Art Winterbauer General 8 August 4th 03 08:24 AM
ladies mountain bikes Alastair General 9 July 23rd 03 01:18 AM
Rank Theses Bikes From Best to Worst Rich General 4 July 16th 03 09:35 PM
Van Tuyl Bikes? nobody General 1 July 15th 03 09:32 AM