Atkins diet and riding

Old July 11th 03, 12:42 PM
GABIKE

Default Atkins diet and riding

ride on the weekend and trying to do 2-3 rides during the week of 5-6
miles each

cut

When I roll out of bed for an early a.m. ride during the week, I can't
get going.

cut

I figured I'd try a banana
before my ride and it helps. Not sure how many minutes the body needs
to pick up the pluses of a banana. I've also put a 50% water/50%
Powerade mixture in my water bottle and drink that up during my 30
minute ride. Now the big question (for me): Would a Clif bar (or its
lower calorie and lower carb sister, the Luna bar) really be that
disasterous. I figure I'd eat one before I set out. For a long weekend
ride, perhaps one during the ride too.

You on the path to disaster as it is. Banannas are high carb and Powerade is a
major no-no. For your 25-30 mile ride you could have either the bananna OR one
very watered down poweraid dring DURING the ride, but if your consuming alll
that before the ride your not in keytosis. That would explain your lack of
energy when you get up in the morning. Ive never been a morning person, it
would take me about an hour to where I was coherent. Now I can jump out of bed
and be ready to go.
If you can still be eating that and loosing weight at the same time, you may
want to continue, but if you have stalled, you may have too many carbs coming
in.
Ive been on the diet for 6 weeks now and am still loosing weight, the only
problem is while I can still ride 25-40 miles, my average speed has dropped
2mph. I feel thats a fair trade. Most people buy things for their bike because
they weigh 2 grams lighter, Imagin shedding 30 pounds!

Troy

Old July 11th 03, 08:55 PM
Duffy Pratt

When you are losing weight on a low carb diet, you might have a decrease in
performance because you don't have glucose available to sustain yourself.
This presents you with a choice: Increase carb consumption before or during
rides to increase your performance, or accept lower performance while
cutting back on your energy supply.

If you increase your carb consumption, you may slow down your weight loss.
On the other hand, lowered performance might slow down your conditioning.
So either way, there may be a trade off involved.

That should end, however, when you achieve your goal weight. At that point,
staying in ketosis is not so crucial, and it will be easier to play with
carb intake to supply your riding needs. With the extra fuel that will then
be available to you, performance levels should pick up.

Personally, I haven't had this problem. Staying on restricted carbs (30-60
gms / day) has not had any noticable effect on my biking performance. But,
I had spent so much time rotting in front of this computer, that I was bound
to improve performance by regularly doing anything on the bike.

Duffy

"Dan Birchall" m wrote in
message
news:slrnbgts89.237.YouMustPay100DollarsForEachSpa ...
(GABIKE) wrote:
I've been on the diet for 6 weeks now and am still loosing weight,
the only problem is while I can still ride 25-40 miles, my average
speed has dropped 2mph. I feel thats a fair trade.

Uh... if you've lost weight, but your average speed has _dropped_,
aren't you a little worried that either 1) you've lost muscle mass,
or 2) your body isn't getting enough of _something_ it needs for
metabolism to keep you going faster?

Most people buy things for their bike because they weigh 2 grams
lighter, [Imagine] shedding 30 pounds!

I'm working on shedding 40 - and I plan on my average speed going
more than 2 mph the other direction.

-Dan (not on any named diet)

--
If you spam this address, you (obviously) agree to pay me $100/spam.

Old July 13th 03, 01:41 AM
Tim B

Suggest you take your ride day the same as any other Atkins day if you're
going the Atkins way.... eat a pound of hamburger with the grease, and drink
water until you have to pee really bad. Then go.

Myself I sort of like a more Mediterranean diet idea, lots of simple breads,
pasta and grains, lots of veggies and fruits, olive oil, and meat mixed as
an ingredient instead of as the main course in one meal out of three or so.
From personal experience, you lose weight at the same rate, and it's much
more sustainable, for me, over time.