Dutch planners identify six categories of cyclist; people that whilstriding their bicycle have different needs and wants.

Old February 28th 20, 09:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default Dutch planners identify six categories of cyclist; people that whilstriding their bicycle have different needs and wants.

https://www.facebook.com/dutchcyclingembassy/photos/a.981436588614737/2869256666499377/

And a well written guide at
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Tz1hNPsSFyjVXjh5wiPZ2CX8BGyhZ7Xu/view

Old February 29th 20, 03:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 2/28/2020 3:06 PM, Roger Merriman wrote:
sms wrote:
https://www.facebook.com/dutchcyclingembassy/photos/a.981436588614737/2869256666499377/

And a well written guide at
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Tz1hNPsSFyjVXjh5wiPZ2CX8BGyhZ7Xu/view

Saw this a few weeks back? Felt then and now that there isn’t enough clear
water between the category’s I fit in a number of boxes most of the time
and could be all at different times, though same bike..

Yes, I agree. But I liked the article because it pointed out the fact
that some cyclists will only ride when there is infrastructure that at
least makes them feel safe (whether or not it actually is any safer than
riding properly on the street).

We have this issue in my city. Some residents that were opposed to a new
multi-use trail insisted that it was unnecessary because the streets
close to the new trail are not very busy and cyclists currently use the
streets (even though there are a tremendous number of driveways and
intersections with drivers not behaving properly). The residents in
favor of the trail point out that there are many more people that would
cycle to parks and schools if protected infrastructure were constructed.

One of our goals is to get more people to avoid driving their children
to school and having bicycle infrastructure is one component of getting
more people on bicycles. If we could eliminate just a few hundred car
trips per day to schools it would make a difference.