Bicycle Parts in the News

Old January 24th 20, 10:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default Bicycle Parts in the News

On Friday, January 24, 2020 at 8:42:05 PM UTC, jbeattie wrote:
On Friday, January 24, 2020 at 11:12:16 AM UTC-8, Tom Kunich wrote:

Since you haven't even a passing understanding of economics

What I am (unlike you) is a self-employed business owner with 45 employees who at least understands budgets and accounting. In this case, the micro-economic rules still apply -- if you decrease revenue and increase spending, you'll go broke.

It's a pity you weren't taught any economics at college, Jay. Here you're committing the serious error of "composition", assuming that national economics work like private household economics. Look it up.

Andre Jute
I charge for tutorials for the ignorant
Old January 24th 20, 10:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Friday, January 24, 2020 at 1:32:31 PM UTC-8, Andre Jute wrote:
On Friday, January 24, 2020 at 8:42:05 PM UTC, jbeattie wrote:
On Friday, January 24, 2020 at 11:12:16 AM UTC-8, Tom Kunich wrote:

Since you haven't even a passing understanding of economics

What I am (unlike you) is a self-employed business owner with 45 employees who at least understands budgets and accounting. In this case, the micro-economic rules still apply -- if you decrease revenue and increase spending, you'll go broke.

It's a pity you weren't taught any economics at college, Jay. Here you're committing the serious error of "composition", assuming that national economics work like private household economics. Look it up.

Andre Jute
I charge for tutorials for the ignorant

I understand that supply-side economics is a macroeconomic theory, but like I said, micro economics apply to federal budgets -- just like any budget. You spend more than you make, you go broke -- or you borrow and then go broke. Do you know an exception to that rule? Well, I guess the federal government can keep on borrowing and then we get into the macro economic effects of defaulting on national debt, etc., etc. But before we get there, we'll feel the micro economic effects of massive tax increases and budget cutting (cutting TK's SS benefit), more than likely under a Democratic administration -- which will also have the poison pill of the sunsetting tax code provisions cutting the individual rates. Its going to be a **** storm if something isn't done soon. As the world's economic and sink-hole expert, Andre, we're looking to you for a solution.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old January 24th 20, 11:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

On Fri, 24 Jan 2020 06:46:43 +0700, John B
wrote:

From what I have read the "beat cop" method requires much more
manpower than "some guys riding around in cars" and, again from what I
read, the public is resistant to paying more and more money for law
enforcement.

There's some of that here, too. The new-ish mayor wanted to reduce the
number of cops when the chief of police wanted a lot more, so that got
played out in the news. And right about that time there was a spate of
murders in the city; the mayor had some "town hall" style meetings and
got an earful from a populace that (1) was more in line with the
thinking of the chief and (2) wants the city to make due with the high
taxes it already collects rather than bumping up tax demands 10-20% a
year.

Of course, those two things don't go together. You can't hire and equip
dozens of cops (I think the difference between the mayor and the chief
was about 100 FTEs or something like that) for free. Hey, maybe we
could get corporate sponsorships for the police department like we did
for our spanking new publicly-funded sports stadiums! Community safety
brought to you by Nike!

It's an interesting set of dilemmas. The city plan is to increase the
population by about 30% over the next 20 years, shifting the residence
model from home ownership to rental. However, they completely caved on
affordable housing so that only about 5% of units will fall into that
category. They also caved on requiring off-street parking, so a city
that already has less than half of the off-street parking it needs will
have less than a quarter. They can't fix the potholes, the water and
sewer infrastructure is failing which has been causing sinkholes,
they've forgotten how to plow the streets, they've lost multiple
lawsuits regarding what turned out to be illegal fees to homeowners,
etc.
Old January 24th 20, 11:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

On Thu, 23 Jan 2020 16:52:16 -0600, AMuzi wrote:
On 1/23/2020 3:57 PM, Tim McNamara wrote:

But even a bit broader than trade is reintegrating parolees into
society. Work and economic self-support is hugely important, but
many perhaps most employers simply will not hire people who have been
incarcerated. So even if they have a trade they've learned, they
can't get a job. In some states parolled felons can't vote, another
bar to being an accepted member of society.

I'm with you generally but voting rights and 'being an accepted member
of society' are unrelated.

I would disagree. Many parolled felons are vocal about the effects of
being disenfranchised. They have, as the saying goes, paid their debt
to society and yet continue to be punished after their sentence is
completed.

Hell, literally half the people you know are qualified to vote but do
not. And you don't know who is who. _That_ ought to be unacceptable in
polite society[1].

Well, I was raised in a family that was dedicated to voting, especially
my father, so I almost never miss casting my vote (I did completely
forget about a primary last year and felt terrible about it). I agree
that this is a civic duty and one of the most important things that
citizens do. There are countries that put us to shame in this regard,
where people are standing in line to vote and may travel hours or days
to be able to do so, even though various militant factions are a threat
to the voters. My voting place has been a five minute walk from my
house for 26 years- I cannot justify not voting.

[1] Which should not be construed as support of mandatory voting, a
pernicious thing I do not advocate.

Voting at gunpoint! "We have ways of making you vote!"
Old January 24th 20, 11:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

On Thu, 23 Jan 2020 16:07:16 -0800 (PST), Tom Kunich
wrote:

As an especially egregious case in point - my friend the retired NCIS
agent, NEVER votes. But spends a great deal of time complaining about
politicians.

Sheesh. I remember two quotes I've ready to justify this. One was an
older woman who said "I never vote, it just encourages them." The other
was a well-known person who said "I don't vote because there's no one to
vote *for*. Choosing the lesser of evils is still choosing evil."
Neither are acceptable to me.
Old January 25th 20, 12:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Friday, January 24, 2020 at 9:56:06 PM UTC, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

What I understand is that it will be political suicide for any pol to vote for sanity and thus nothing will be done until the crisis arrives. In the current federal budgeting system log-rolling and the pork barrel have been combined into huge omnibus tax measures that no one has the time to read before they vote on them. ("I have to vote for it so I find out what's in it.")

Andre Jute
Laugh today, die tomorrow
Old January 25th 20, 01:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 1/24/2020 2:12 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Friday, January 24, 2020 at 10:50:08 AM UTC-8, jbeattie wrote:

Jay, since all you want to do is argue go do it in the mirror. Tax increases such as a national gas tax increase that was temporary, increases in the SS rate because of increases in SS payments and the like count only in the minds of people like you.

Tom, I'll just note that Jay repeatedly posts links to articles from
serious sources that both confirm what he says, and rebut what you say.
In discussions on political topics, I can't recall you posting any links
that didn't lead to whacko websites.

Nobody here accepts you as an authority on economics. You need to
corroborate your claims with real information. Otherwise your rants will
convince nobody. You are just wasting your time and ours.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old January 25th 20, 01:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Fri, 24 Jan 2020 15:32:18 -0500, Radey Shouman
wrote:

Frank Krygowski writes:

On 1/24/2020 12:57 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Friday, January 24, 2020 at 8:58:23 AM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 1/23/2020 8:48 PM, AMuzi wrote:

Speaking of diversity, check out the results of just a few thousands of
feral savages inflicted on an otherwise homogenous nation:

https://www.thelocal.se/20181015/giv...gets-under-way

As my British friend used to say, "If bombs are outlawed, only outlaws
will have bombs."

For those who don't recognize sarcasm, he was very much in favor of
British gun laws, and baffled by America's gun nuts.

--
- Frank Krygowski

The founders of this nation, thank God, were very powerful
thinkers. But to you they were dopes and you know much better.

They were fairly sharp guys. Not gods, not saints, not infallible, but
sharp guys.

They believed in well-regulated militias. That was understood quite
well for about 200 years.

They combined together in using established militias, and their weapons,
to overthrow their lawful government in a long and bloody war. Had they
failed many would have been hanged for treason, drawing and quartering
having fallen into deseutude. When they talked of "watering the tree of
liberty with the blood of patriots and tyrants", they were not speaking
theoretically.

It was only in very recent times that the firearms industry and some
gun nuts got lawyers to convince activist judges that all precedents
and all previous legal thought should be thrown into a trash can and
shot to hell with an AR-15 fitted with a bump stock.

That's a little backwards. There wasn't a lot of gun control until the
60s, except for minorities, poor people, and residents of a few large
cities. When various factions began to push for more, "gun nuts"
resisted using legal means. I don't believe there was much legal
thought on the second amendment until the past 20 years or so -- sort of
like the ninth and tenth.

I'm old enough now to have some insight into the question and I can
tell you that prior to 1950 (when I left home and went to collage)
there weren't, effectively, any gun laws in New Hampshire. For
example, you could legally carry an unloaded rifle or pistol right
down the main street in town. In 1944, I was 12 years old and I bought
a .22 rifle - bill of sale in my name.

But, at the same time a gun wasn't considered some sort of strange,
dangerous, device. My paternal grandfather kept his guns in a corner
of the kitchen as far back as I can remember. My mother's father kept
his in the corner of the downstairs bathroom :-)

But, by the same token kids didn't play with real guns, why would
they? After all I was shooting a .22, albeit under my father's
supervision, when I was 8 or 9 years old and had the promise of "my
own gun" when I was 12.

And, I might add, I never hear a girl or woman say anything like,
"Ohhh! I'm so frightened of a gun", any more than she'd say "Oh, I'm
so frightened of that axe, or that cross cut saw :-)

But then, I don't remember folks wearing torn pants or four day beards
in an effort to look "macho" :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Old January 25th 20, 01:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Krygowski wrote:
[...]

Tell us about Paul Revere, Lexington & Concord again please.

BHO approved bump stocks, which we discussed here years ago
(I noted that no firearms owner in my wide acquaintance had
anything positive to say about them). DJT banned them.

AR-15, your personal bogeyman weapon again? Geez if you need
something to truly fear, there are Barrett .50 with optics
out there...

I remind you that civilians use AR-15 now, replacing mostly
..308 Garands. This reads much like 'dynamo vs LiIon' :
https://www.ammunitiontogo.com/lodge...er-comparison/

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old January 25th 20, 02:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 1/24/2020 4:33 PM, Tim McNamara wrote:
On Fri, 24 Jan 2020 06:46:43 +0700, John B
wrote:

From what I have read the "beat cop" method requires much more
[...]

You may not believe this, but people actually ask me why we
moved 15 miles across a county line to a low tax rural area.
You're on the same path as the city we left, just a few
years behind in policy and hence outcome.

Once your neighborhood, in addition to all the suffering you
endure above, becomes riddled with feces, needles, holdups,
muggings and the like, remember the ultimate cure.