A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Techniques
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

H AND SON Plus

Old February 27th 20, 08:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark Cleary[_3_]
external usenet poster

Default H AND SON Plus

I have a set of wheels with these rims and utlegra hubs 32 hole. I like the rims 23 25 mm profile. As usual when I got them I did do a quick go around to make sure spoke tension ok. So after maybe 2300 miles they are doing great. My question is maybe I can ride at lower PSI and I don't give it a chance.

I run these at about 100 psi on the rear and maybe 93 ish on the front. No pinch flats I am 6'1 and about 170 pounds. What PSI would you ride these at? Sure I could just keep dropping the psi in till I go overboard but now another question.

I run Conti PR 4000 II 23mm presently. I am an old school mind and the 25 just don't want to stick in my brain. Since I am due for a new set of tires should I go 25 they seem to inflate pretty close to the stated width. Then could I get even lower PSI and be better of than the 23's. I am I trying to split hairs and it does not matter. I do like a smooth ride but of course speed always in the back of my mind hate to ride slow if I can go faster.

Deacon Mark Cleary
Ads
Old February 27th 20, 09:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie
external usenet poster

Default H AND SON Plus

On Thursday, February 27, 2020 at 11:15:06 AM UTC-8, Mark Cleary wrote:
I have a set of wheels with these rims and utlegra hubs 32 hole. I like the rims 23 25 mm profile. As usual when I got them I did do a quick go around to make sure spoke tension ok. So after maybe 2300 miles they are doing great. My question is maybe I can ride at lower PSI and I don't give it a chance.

I run these at about 100 psi on the rear and maybe 93 ish on the front. No pinch flats I am 6'1 and about 170 pounds. What PSI would you ride these at? Sure I could just keep dropping the psi in till I go overboard but now another question.

I run Conti PR 4000 II 23mm presently. I am an old school mind and the 25 just don't want to stick in my brain. Since I am due for a new set of tires should I go 25 they seem to inflate pretty close to the stated width. Then could I get even lower PSI and be better of than the 23's. I am I trying to split hairs and it does not matter. I do like a smooth ride but of course speed always in the back of my mind hate to ride slow if I can go faster.

Deacon Mark Cleary

Which rim? Archetype? 23mm width? 80 PSI would be plenty for you. HED would recommend 70-80 psi for your weight on a Plus (25mm) rim with 23mm tires.. Not much info on H Plus Son site. HED has maximum inflation on the Ardennes Plus of 90psi and minimum 23mm tire size. For the same rim in the 23mm size, they limit inflation to 100psi. Low pressure seems to be the flavor of the week.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old February 27th 20, 10:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark J.
external usenet poster

Default H AND SON Plus

On 2/27/2020 11:15 AM, Mark Cleary wrote:

Deacon Mark Cleary

My advice - switch to 25 mm and don't look back - assuming your frame
and brakes have the clearance. I did about nine years ago.

You can run lower pressure, get pounded less by the ride, and still go
just as fast.

Mark J.
Old February 28th 20, 12:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_7_]
external usenet poster

Default H AND SON Plus

jbeattie wrote:
I have a set of wheels with these rims and utlegra hubs 32 hole. I like
the rims 23 25 mm profile. As usual when I got them I did do a quick go
around to make sure spoke tension ok. So after maybe 2300 miles they are
doing great. My question is maybe I can ride at lower PSI and I don't give it a chance.

I run these at about 100 psi on the rear and maybe 93 ish on the front.
No pinch flats I am 6'1 and about 170 pounds. What PSI would you ride
these at? Sure I could just keep dropping the psi in till I go overboard
but now another question.

I run Conti PR 4000 II 23mm presently. I am an old school mind and the
25 just don't want to stick in my brain. Since I am due for a new set of
tires should I go 25 they seem to inflate pretty close to the stated
width. Then could I get even lower PSI and be better of than the 23's. I
am I trying to split hairs and it does not matter. I do like a smooth
ride but of course speed always in the back of my mind hate to ride slow
if I can go faster.

Deacon Mark Cleary

Which rim? Archetype? 23mm width? 80 PSI would be plenty for you. HED
would recommend 70-80 psi for your weight on a Plus (25mm) rim with 23mm
tires. Not much info on H Plus Son site. HED has maximum inflation on
the Ardennes Plus of 90psi and minimum 23mm tire size. For the same rim
in the 23mm size, they limit inflation to 100psi. Low pressure seems to
be the flavor of the week.

-- Jay Beattie.

My Ardennes 23mm wheels work well with conti 4000 gps 23s at 90psi.

Old February 28th 20, 12:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark Cleary[_3_]
external usenet poster

Default H AND SON Plus

On Thursday, February 27, 2020 at 1:15:06 PM UTC-6, Mark Cleary wrote:

I run Conti PR 4000 II 23mm presently. I am an old school mind and the 25 just don't want to stick in my brain. Since I am due for a new set of tires should I go 25 they seem to inflate pretty close to the stated width. Then could I get even lower PSI and. be better of than the 23's. I am I trying to split hairs and it does not matter. I do like a smooth ride but of course speed always in the back of my mind hate to ride slow if I can go faster.

Old February 28th 20, 02:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.
external usenet poster

Default H AND SON Plus

On Thu, 27 Feb 2020 15:45:33 -0800 (PST), Mark Cleary
wrote:

I run Conti PR 4000 II 23mm presently. I am an old school mind and the 25 just don't want to stick in my brain. Since I am due for a new set of tires should I go 25 they seem to inflate pretty close to the stated width. Then could I get even lower PSI and. be better of than the 23's. I am I trying to split hairs and it does not matter. I do like a smooth ride but of course speed always in the back of my mind hate to ride slow if I can go faster.

Deacon Mark Cleary

Yes I have the Archtype rim. Wow going to a 25 and they low of pressure will be quite a change can I absorb it all a once?

Deacon Mark

Bicycle Quarterly (Jan Heine) published an article some time ago where
he stated that tire testing had shown that a "tire drop", i.e., the
tire being compressed against the ground, of 15% resulted in the most
efficient tire pressure. He also discusses, in little detail, that the
tire load may vary from front to back. A Randonneur bike, he reckons,
has a front and rear tire load of 45%/55%, a racing bike, 40%/60%, for
example.

He tested various gross weights and published a gross weight versus
ideal tire pressure chart for common tire sizes. Example: a 170 lb
individual on a 15 lb. bicycle has a gross weight of 185 lbs.
Assuming, as an example, a 50%/50% front to rear wheel loading each
wheel will support 92.5 lb. Looking at B.Q.'s chart a 23mm tire will
require ~100 psi, A 25mm tire ~90 psi and a 28mm tire ~70 psi.
see
https://www.biketinker.com/2010/bike...-for-bicycles/
for reference.

As an aside, I did weigh my bike and rider for front and rear tire
loads and for a steel frame, classic type, bike with rider in the
normal road bike position (hands on the brake levers) I found a
50%/50% weight distribution.

--
cheers,

John B.

Old February 28th 20, 02:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default H AND SON Plus

On Thursday, February 27, 2020 at 8:15:06 PM UTC+1, Mark Cleary wrote:

Deacon Mark Cleary

25 mm tires have no disadvantages but don't expect big changes in feel and comfort going from 23 to 25 mm tires despite what other people may say. I run 25 mm in the back and 23 mm in the front. I weigh 75 kg and run them 7 bar in the back and 6 bar in the front. For a comfort ride I may drop the pressure in the back to 6.5 bar. I would not go lower.

Lou
Old February 28th 20, 04:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark Cleary[_3_]
external usenet poster

Default H AND SON Plus

Deacon Mark Cleary

It appears Lou you run yours a bit higher than others. If there is not big difference between 23 and 25 might stick with 23 they are cheaper I think.
Old February 28th 20, 05:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default H AND SON Plus

Deacon Mark Cleary

The difference in ride of a 23 mm 120 psi tire and a 25 mm 90 psi is so remarkable I don't see why anyone over 160 lbs doesn't go that way.
Old February 28th 20, 05:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default H AND SON Plus

On Thursday, February 27, 2020 at 1:24:17 PM UTC-8, Mark J. wrote:
On 2/27/2020 11:15 AM, Mark Cleary wrote: