Are the Dutch are getting lazy?

Old February 28th 20, 08:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Are the Dutch are getting lazy?

From a popular Dutch news site:

'Vorig jaar werd een recordaantal e-bikes verkocht, melden RAI Vereniging, BOVAG en onderzoeksbureau GfK vrijdag. Fietsverkopers wisten 420.000 e-bikes aan de man te brengen, een stijging van 2,6 procent ten opzichte van 2018..

De totale omzet uit de fietsverkoop steeg voor het zevende jaar op rij. In totaal verkochten fietswinkels vorig jaar voor 1,252 miljard euro aan fietsen. Zo'n 70 procent van deze omzet werd behaald met de verkoop van elektrische fietsen.

E-bikes zijn hiermee in de afgelopen jaren de standaard geworden. In 2014 kwam nog 414 miljoen euro van de omzet van fietswinkels uit de verkoop van e-bikes.

Met een marktaandeel van 41,7 procent is de e-bike voor het tweede jaar op rij het meest verkochte type fiets in Nederland. Gemiddeld betaalt een consument 2.067 euro voor een e-bike.'

Total sales volume 2019: 1.252 billion euro (2.6% up) of which 70% from E bikes
Market share E bikes 41.7 procent.
Average amount spent on a E bike 2067 euro

For long you were some kind of piteous riding an assisted bike being disabled or something now it is the otherway round. You are a loser buying a 'normal' bike. Everybody older than 45 years I encounter during my rides riding a normal bike gets a thumbs up from me. I have to do that not very often. We now have Ebike peletons...

Lou
Old February 28th 20, 01:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Friday, February 28, 2020 at 8:28:52 AM UTC, wrote:

We now have Ebike peletons...

Lou

My Ebike is bigger than your Ebike! Heh-heh!

Congratulation on the outstanding Dutch performance at the World Track Cycling Championships. You must be looking forward to the Olympics.

Andre Jute
Alas, athletic feats are now mere nostalgia

Old February 28th 20, 01:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Friday, February 28, 2020 at 2:00:33 PM UTC+1, Andre Jute wrote:
On Friday, February 28, 2020 at 8:28:52 AM UTC, wrote:

We now have Ebike peletons...

Lou

My Ebike is bigger than your Ebike! Heh-heh!

Congratulation on the outstanding Dutch performance at the World Track Cycling Championships. You must be looking forward to the Olympics.

Andre Jute
Alas, athletic feats are now mere nostalgia

Track cycling is spectacular to watch and yeah 'we' are doing great as we did in the last cycle cross season especially the ladies and Mathieu van der Poel of course. I always looking forward to the Olympics not only for cycling. I hope the corona virus doesn't spoil it.

Lou
Old February 29th 20, 02:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Friday, February 28, 2020 at 5:09:07 PM UTC-8, John B. wrote:
On Fri, 28 Feb 2020 15:07:36 -0800 (PST), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

On Friday, 28 February 2020 17:48:20 UTC-5, wrote:
On Friday, February 28, 2020 at 10:52:02 PM UTC+1, wrote:
On Friday, February 28, 2020 at 2:28:52 AM UTC-6, wrote:
From a popular Dutch news site:

[...]

I'm not an eBike person myself. But I can see the appeal of them. Especially in a society like the Netherlands where the bicycle is considered a normal mode of transportation. Unlike in the USA, where the bicycle is only a recreational object. In the Netherlands you use the bike to go to work, school, store, etc. So using an eBike to make these required transportation tasks easier makes a lot of sense. But in the USA the bicycle is for recreation. Almost no one uses it for basic transportation. So getting an eBike to make your recreational riding easier makes no sense. It makes as much sense as people driving to the gym in the morning to get their workout. Instead of jogging or cycling to the gym in the morning. But people do stupid things all the time.

The thing is that leisure rides also increased a lot. So there were a lot of people that would like to ride for fun but not want to get (too) tired or sweaty. An E bike solved that.

Lou

I see more and more E-bikes being used around here when the weather is warm. I wonder if the popularity of E-bikes will lead to many if any of the unpaved trails and rail-trails getting paved over? Time will tell.

Cheers

Googling "how to soup-up your e-bike" gets almost 60,000,000 hits. I
think that you may soon be seeing powerful e-bikes all over the place
:-)

They even make foldable e-bikes for Frank to take on his travels. and
strong too, a load capacity 125 kg (275 lbs). At $1,275 they are very
competitive in price with push-bikes too :-)

Prepare for sticker-shock, John B. https://tinyurl.com/tptmp84

My son talks non-stop about eBikes. They're now Specialized's bread-and-butter product. He wants me to get one -- probably so he doesn't have to wait for me when we're riding in Utah. He also wants one for commuting.

The problem is that even at employee/family prices, the top end eBikes are really expensive. But if the discount or scratch and dent stars align, my next bike may be a Specialized eBike.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old February 29th 20, 02:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

wrote:

On Friday, 28 February 2020 17:48:20 UTC-5, wrote:
On Friday, February 28, 2020 at 10:52:02 PM UTC+1, wrote:
On Friday, February 28, 2020 at 2:28:52 AM UTC-6, wrote:
From a popular Dutch news site:

[...]

I wonder. How do you go about replacing an internal battery on one of those Specialized E-bikes?

Cheers
Old February 29th 20, 02:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 2/28/2020 8:09 PM, John B. wrote:

Googling "how to soup-up your e-bike" gets almost 60,000,000 hits. I
think that you may soon be seeing powerful e-bikes all over the place
:-)

They even make foldable e-bikes for Frank to take on his travels. and
strong too, a load capacity 125 kg (275 lbs). At $1,275 they are very
competitive in price with push-bikes too :-)

There is an email list (remember those?) for owners of Bikes Friday.
There have been many discussions about adding electric assist. And of
course, the company will gladly sell you one.

https://www.bikefriday.com/folding-b...tem-overview-2

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old February 29th 20, 04:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Fri, 28 Feb 2020 21:59:24 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 2/28/2020 8:09 PM, John B. wrote:

Googling "how to soup-up your e-bike" gets almost 60,000,000 hits. I
think that you may soon be seeing powerful e-bikes all over the place
:-)

They even make foldable e-bikes for Frank to take on his travels. and
strong too, a load capacity 125 kg (275 lbs). At $1,275 they are very
competitive in price with push-bikes too :-)

There is an email list (remember those?) for owners of Bikes Friday.
There have been many discussions about adding electric assist. And of
course, the company will gladly sell you one.

https://www.bikefriday.com/folding-b...tem-overview-2

Somewhere I read that where there is an itch there will be someone to
scratch it :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Old February 29th 20, 05:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

wrote:

On Friday, 28 February 2020 17:48:20 UTC-5, wrote:
On Friday, February 28, 2020 at 10:52:02 PM UTC+1, wrote:
On Friday, February 28, 2020 at 2:28:52 AM UTC-6, wrote:
From a popular Dutch news site:

[...]

From watching
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fy4M9hlf2YQ
it appears that the battery just clips in place. And
I think that like a laptop battery it is generally considered as non
repairable although it may well be for someone with the necessary
tools and experience.

--
cheers,

John B.

Old February 29th 20, 05:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

wrote:

On Friday, 28 February 2020 17:48:20 UTC-5, wrote:
On Friday, February 28, 2020 at 10:52:02 PM UTC+1, wrote:
On Friday, February 28, 2020 at 2:28:52 AM UTC-6, wrote:
From a popular Dutch news site:

[...]

Ah well, if you must have a decal on the bike reading "SPECIALIZED"
then you shouldn't complain about paying for it. On the other hand,
for the common man, see
https://www.e-bikes.com/
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Electric-Bi...node=469685031
https://www.alibaba.com/showroom/e-bikes-for-sale.html

Old February 29th 20, 06:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

wrote:

On Friday, 28 February 2020 17:48:20 UTC-5, wrote:
On Friday, February 28, 2020 at 10:52:02 PM UTC+1, wrote:
On Friday, February 28, 2020 at 2:28:52 AM UTC-6, wrote:
From a popular Dutch news site:

[...]

From watching
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fy4M9hlf2YQ
it appears that the battery just clips in place. And
I think that like a laptop battery it is generally considered as non
repairable although it may well be for someone with the necessary
tools and experience.

--
cheers,

John B.

Ah, but the Specialized bikes use an internal battery. Does that mean it's sealed inside the frame and that it's non-removable by the user? The battery dies, do you have to buy a new bike?

Cheers

The Dutch Reach: How opening your car door like the Dutch could savecyclists' lives Bod[_5_] UK 1 April 28th 18 05:31 PM
Lazy Trolls bugbear UK 3 March 3rd 11 07:21 AM
Lazy promoters? [email protected] Racing 21 August 26th 06 08:26 PM
LeMond is lazy Callistus Valerius Racing 49 December 20th 05 01:49 AM
Do you ever get lazy? B.B. Techniques 34 January 5th 05 08:47 PM