Where do you get gas meters for VO2 tests?

Old April 8th 05, 02:02 AM
David Wuertele

Default Where do you get gas meters for VO2 tests?

The VO2max test I took was a pretty simple setup:

- Windows laptop
- Computrainer
- O2 and CO2 meter
- Analysis software

I was wondering how much it would cost to duplicate it myself.
I've got a laptop, and I can get a computrainer. But I don't know who
makes the gas meter and the analysis software.

Is this kind of equipment for sale at reasonable prices?

Dave
Old April 8th 05, 03:29 AM

First off, get rid of the computrainer unless you can calibrate it
regularly with another power meter.

Old April 8th 05, 04:24 AM
Werehatrack

On 07 Apr 2005 18:02:57 -0700, David Wuertele
wrote:

The VO2max test I took was a pretty simple setup:

- Windows laptop
- Computrainer
- O2 and CO2 meter
- Analysis software

I was wondering how much it would cost to duplicate it myself.
I've got a laptop, and I can get a computrainer. But I don't know who
makes the gas meter and the analysis software.

Is this kind of equipment for sale at reasonable prices?

No.

I used to have a couple of sources for gas content detection sensors,
and it was all at industrial lab prices. IIRC, it would run upwards
of $700 for the sensors, and then you'd still need the analog/digital
conversion interface, serial port or USB interface, calibration gases
and adapters, and the software to access and utilize the input stream.
That last item might easily add five to ten times as much as the cost
of the hardware. You can probably buy the package from the people who
have already done the leg work for less than a quarter of what it
would take to fudge together one for yourself, even given the items
that you've already got. The cost of the laptop is likely not the
major expense in the setup.

This kind of kit isn't stuff you can whip up using kitchen science.
Not even if you're MacGuyver.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
Old April 8th 05, 06:17 AM
Jim Smith

David Wuertele writes:

The VO2max test I took was a pretty simple setup:

- Windows laptop
- Computrainer
- O2 and CO2 meter
- Analysis software

I was wondering how much it would cost to duplicate it myself.
I've got a laptop, and I can get a computrainer. But I don't know who
makes the gas meter and the analysis software.

The computrainer isn't required to measure VO2max, anything which
alows you to use more than 50% of your muscles at maximal exertion
will work. There is no need to actually measure the power.

The simplicity of the system is deceptive. Conceptually, the process
is simple but making the measurments with the required precicion is
not trivial. Don't expect it to be easy to put something together.

The equipment is often called a "metabolic cart" you might be able to
find a used one on ebay for a few thousand dollars.

At least one company makes one you can wear while running, cycling, or
duck hunting:

http://www.cosmed.it/products.cfm?p=1&fi=1&a=1&cat=1

I don't know what that costs. If I had to guess, I would say between
10 and 20 thousand dollars.
Old April 9th 05, 09:36 PM
David Wuertele

Me I was wondering how much it would cost to duplicate it myself.
Me I've got a laptop, and I can get a computrainer. But I don't know who
Me makes the gas meter and the analysis software.

I found out who makes it, here is the page for the wireless product
with RS232 interface:

http://medgraphics.com/datasheet_vo2000.htm

I couldn't tell how much it costs. It doesn't look very expensive.
Old April 9th 05, 10:10 PM

On 09 Apr 2005 13:36:11 -0700, David Wuertele
wrote:

Me I was wondering how much it would cost to duplicate it myself.
Me I've got a laptop, and I can get a computrainer. But I don't know who
Me makes the gas meter and the analysis software.

I found out who makes it, here is the page for the wireless product
with RS232 interface:

http://medgraphics.com/datasheet_vo2000.htm

I couldn't tell how much it costs. It doesn't look very expensive.

Dear David,

The requirement that you contact the company for a price is
probably a better indicator of the cost than the looks of
the box.

Have a look through their price list for popular accessories
for the unit before your hopes rise too high:

http://medgraphics.net/merchant2/mer..._Cod e=vo2000

Carl Fogel