Fact checking

Old September 4th 05, 11:57 PM
TheoELind

Default Fact checking

Can anyone give me any information or pictures of early unicycles? I am
reasearching it for my drafting class, and I need accurate info.

From my understanding, unicycles evolved from penny-farthings, can
anyone varrify this?

Also, were all the original hubs cottered?

I've seen old adds for kits to create your own unicycle from the 50's or
so, does anyone have those pics?

were there ever any wood unicycles, or were they all steel by the time
the unicycle started to evolve?

I have pretty much all the information on modern unicycles except
pictures or designs of geared unicycles and hubs, can I perhaps get any
designs of uni 1.5 from harper?

Thank you all.

--
TheoELind - BnL

MM Catboy: http://gameknot.com/chess.pl?bd=3689385&r=57
MM Catboy: however, i have a plan
MM Catboy: if i know i'm in a position to lose, i'll just stop playing,
so i end up with more points
TheOrigionalFuzz: what? you cheatin' whore
MM Catboy: thats not cheating, its a good stategy
TheoELind's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8872

Old September 5th 05, 12:36 AM
john_childs

Here's two bits about unicycles from the 1880's
'Unicycle (ca. 1882)' (http://tinyurl.com/d5ama)
'Can it be that the coming machine is to be a unicycle?'
(http://tinyurl.com/dwmh6)

Greg Harper has assembly drawings of his hub at 'The Home Of Harper'
(http://staff.washington.edu/gharper/)

'Frank Bonsch (a.k.a. Unifrank)'
(http://www.people.freenet.de/unifrank/index_engl.htm) has a CAD drawing
of his 'planetary gear hub'
(http://www.people.freenet.de/unifrank/hub_engl.htm). His hub was made
with parts and gears from a broken Shimano Nexus hub.

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com
Gallery: '' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/john_childs)
' Unicycling Bookmark List' (http://backcountry.unicyclist.com/) ::
'World Clock' (http://tinyurl.com/a99y3) 'Click Me'
(http://tinyurl.com/7lvbu)

Old September 5th 05, 12:40 AM
TheoELind

Thank you very much John, that's exactly what I was looking for!

one more question, when was the giraffe first seen?

Old September 5th 05, 02:24 AM
JJuggle

TheoELind wrote:
*one more question, when was the giraffe first seen? *

That is an excellent question. I don't know the answer, but when I
visited the 'Metz Bicycle Museum' (http://www.metzbicyclemuseum.com/),
one of the two unicycles he had was a giraffe which I think was from the
1920s. You might call to verify this, though.

--
JJuggle - What was I thinking?

Raphael Lasar
Matawan, NJ

When everybody loves you, son,
you're just about as funky as you can be.
JJuggle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/24

Old September 5th 05, 03:06 AM
john_childs

Have you checked the books
The Unicycle Book by Jack Wiley
and
Unicycling from Beginner to Expert by Sebatian Hoher or Sebastian
Hoher
Both books are out of print but you might be able to find them at your
library or through an interlibrary loan. Both books have some info on
the history of unicycling.

Old September 5th 05, 05:13 AM
johnfoss

For detaild on the build of an old-old unicycle, use designs of
penny-farthing bicycles from around 1880 or so. Unicycles are believed
to have started around 1870 but nobody seems to know for sure.

On the bike you choose to use as an example, just take off the frame
from the steerer tube back. Keep the fork and handlebars. That's it!
Seats came later.

Giraffes appeared no later than the 1890s. I'm pretty sure professional
entertainers were using them by that time.

--
johnfoss - More Moab Fun

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone

"Read the rules!" -- 'IUF Rulebook'

helmets dreaded General 68 July 20th 04 02:34 PM
"Actually you are the first person to bring up this issue" James Annan UK 421 March 31st 04 11:05 PM
Tories and speed cameras Zog The Undeniable UK 63 January 5th 04 08:39 PM
First road bike: braking? Alan Hoyle General 47 September 28th 03 11:40 PM