Disk brake conversion on a Trimuter Trike

Old August 11th 03, 03:51 AM
bentcruiser

Default Disk brake conversion on a Trimuter Trike

Jonathan Kaplan wrote:
Trimuter owners out there, be careful! You don't realize that your
trimuter is not as Greenspeed like as you think until you try to use
some Greenspeed parts on the Trimuter.
Here are your options if you want to convert to disk brakes:
(1) Forget Wicks, they are vehemently anti-disk.

Forgive my stupidity here, but are disc a lot better than drums? I have
never used either.

--
Derek,
Burley Canto

Old August 12th 03, 04:01 AM
Jonathan Kaplan

Most trikes now come equipped with either mechanical or hydraulic disks. The
hydraulic disks work on the same principle as motorcycle or car brakes. A
fluid (either mineral oil or DOT brake fluid is compressed my a master
cylinder on the grip, which in turn works a cylinder by the wheels).

I had drum brakes (which look like miniature car drum brakes) on the trike
originally. These were very spongy, and did not stop very well on hills.

Most people swear by disks for their wet weather and down hill performance.
Mechanical disks have lowered the price considerably. The mechanical disks
use conventional cables and levers to work a caliper that also rubs a rotor.

If I had to do it again, I'd probably pass on the disks and live with the
drums.

Most people only order the trikes with the disks. They are standard
equipment on the Wizwheelz Terra Trike and the Catrike Speed. They are a
$450 option on Greenspeed.

Old August 15th 03, 12:53 PM
bentcruiser

Jonathan Kaplan wrote:
(1) Forget Wicks, they are vehemently anti-disk.

This is not actually true. Jerome at Wicks told me yesterday that they
have an Avid Mechanical Disk option.

--
Derek,
Burley Canto