Here's the answer

Old December 19th 20, 01:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

Default Here's the answer

On Fri, 18 Dec 2020 20:25:22 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 12/18/2020 7:43 PM, News 2020 wrote:
On Fri, 18 Dec 2020 17:02:17 -0500, Frank Krygowski wrote:

One friend and university colleague of mine is an actual (not pretend)
gun expert. He's done lots of consulting work for a major firearms
corporation, including single handed design of a gun that's selling
pretty well. Of course, he's got a collection of guns.

But he doesn't hunt. He described his one successful deer hunt: "I shot
the deer, walked up to it, then thought 'Now what am I going to do??
I've got like a hundred pounds of meat here, and I'm at least a mile
from my car." He never hunted again.

He should try a day on the river duck shooting.
You spend all day with shot guns blasting around you ears, then after
fetching, plucking, cleaning and roasting the duck, you spend all the
meal gently nibbling to make sure you don't eat shotgun pellets. Blah,
I'll stick to running down rabbits.

So, Christmas shopping online, I was looking for wool socks for a
certain lady. Reading the reviews of one set, a woman said something
like "These contain rabbit fur! I don't want socks that require
inflicting pain on an innocent animal!"

I thought A) There's certainly no rabbit shortage. B) Is it better for
the rabbit to go the way of the possum in our back yard four days ago? I
looked out and saw a Red Tailed Hawk calmly sitting on him, waiting for
him to die. He ultimately became brunch. (For the hawk, not me. Didn't
look appetizing.)

One would have to assume that the woman also doesn't visit McDonalds,
or eat fried shrimp :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old December 19th 20, 01:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Sat, 19 Dec 2020 01:20:50 -0000 (UTC), News 2020
wrote:

On Sat, 19 Dec 2020 08:04:52 +0700, John B. wrote:

On Sat, 19 Dec 2020 00:57:11 -0000 (UTC), News 2020
wrote:

On Sat, 19 Dec 2020 06:39:30 +0700, John B. wrote:

On Fri, 18 Dec 2020 18:16:10 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 12/18/2020 5:58 PM, John B. wrote:

On the other hand, why should one have to hunt just because
he/she/it likes guns? After all, you can't win the Olympics by
shooting deer but you can win by shooting holes in a paper target.

It's not mandatory to hunt, obviously. But I, personally, tend to have
more respect for a gun owner who does. Similarly, I tend to have more
respect for a cyclist who uses his bike for transportation purposes,
at least some reasonable amount of the time. (Yes, I know others have
different standards.)

And of course, and those that have shoes should walk to work,

Which is far better than working longer hours to earn more money too pay
more tax, then pay for a gym membership to keep fit. Sheesh.

How does walking to work equate with working hours? If you are supposed
to be at work at X o'clock then you just get started early enough to get
there on time, regardless whether it is by bicycle or Shank's Mare.

That is what I said, but so called intelligent people fail to see the
benefits of walking to walk and try to maintain or recover their fitness
through gym membership, which means ......

Ah, I misunderstood your comment.

FWIW, my history of walking to work can measured in the history of my
foot ware. I wore through three pairs of HiTech walking boot (dressy in
suede, good for HO) before they stopped being available and then switched
to KT26 walkers that I could get resoled quarterly until the shoe guy
said 'buy a new pair'. Last time I looked, they are hard to get as
production went to full sizes only and stock is a mixed crate of sizes
that sell out ery fast unless you wear size 10.

I walked to school from the first grade through high school and so did
everyone else that lived within the village "precinct".

Years later I was home on leave from the Service and my father was
telling me about the troubles the town was having to build a new,
larger, high school. They were having problems finding a plot large
enough for the parking lot :-)

Now, since retirement, I tend to wear boots branded for motor vehicles,
which are great for gardening or the workshop.

--
Cheers,

John B.

Old December 19th 20, 02:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

wrote:

On 12/18/2020 5:58 PM, John B. wrote:
On Fri, 18 Dec 2020 17:02:17 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 12/18/2020 12:50 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

I played it again and you're right. The noise seems to be coming from
the trailer dragging something on the ground. That begs the question
how the prospective hunter is going to carry the trailer on his way to
stalking the deer? He might disassemble the trailer and carry it in
pieces on his trike rack or in his back pack. However, if he tows it
behind the tricycle, it's going to be quite noisy. In the commentary
he mentioned that he shot the doe, walked back to the trike, and then
brought in the trike and deer trailer. Still, the combination makes
less noise than a gasoline powered ATV.

Incidentally, the average field dressed adult doe weighs about 100 lbs
(45 kg).

One friend and university colleague of mine is an actual (not pretend)
gun expert. He's done lots of consulting work for a major firearms
corporation, including single handed design of a gun that's selling
pretty well. Of course, he's got a collection of guns.

But he doesn't hunt. He described his one successful deer hunt: "I shot
the deer, walked up to it, then thought 'Now what am I going to do??
I've got like a hundred pounds of meat here, and I'm at least a mile
from my car." He never hunted again.

My grandfather who, if memory serves, was about 5'6" tall, killed a
deer every year, and if the Game Warden was "down the other end of the
State" occasionally killed more than one, and did it until he was well
into his 70's. And ate every one. My father, taller then his father,
hunted and we ate all the deer that he shot.

But, while I don't remember the subject ever coming up, had someone
shot a deer that they didn't intend to eat I'm fairly sure that they
would have been considered some sort of a pervert. Why in the world
would you shoot it if you didn't intend to eat it?

To be clear, he (and/or his family) did eat the deer. He dragged it out
of the woods to his car, I assume after gutting it. But he was not happy
about the experience and chose not to repeat it.

I actually wouldn't have his problem. The deer frequently come up into
our yard. On one occasion, my wife was lifting weights in the basement
and saw a deer watching her through the basement window. So if I shot
one, assuming it was a clean kill, I wouldn't have to drag it much at all.

Except hunting is illegal within the village limits.

On the other hand, why should one have to hunt just because he/she/it
likes guns? After all, you can't win the Olympics by shooting deer but
you can win by shooting holes in a paper target.

It's not mandatory to hunt, obviously. But I, personally, tend to have
more respect for a gun owner who does. Similarly, I tend to have more
respect for a cyclist who uses his bike for transportation purposes, at
least some reasonable amount of the time. (Yes, I know others have
different standards.)

And of course, and those that have shoes should walk to work, and
those that have ski's should use them to get to town for the shopping,
and flying should be limited to those that have wings...

Around here, XC ski season is almost totally absent. (The wings
statement is quite a bad parallel.)

True but only two arguments seemed somewhat paltry :-)

But I am consistent in that I have admiration for people who are wise
enough to live close to work, and therefore walk there. Even though I
personally prefer biking.

I've mentioned before, when my wife was doing volunteer work at the
school down the street, one woman went off to buy some supplies at the
corner store. She told my wife something like "I know I should walk like
you do, but I'm going to drive." The distance is roughly a quarter mile.

Some might say "People like to drive. They like what they like." But I
think excessive driving has enough bad societal effects that we should
call it out. It goes way beyond "Tragedy of the Commons" although that's
bad enough.

Growing up in a small New England town walking was normal when I was
young. Many of the businessmen walked to work in the morning, and
probably home in the evenings. The car was for Sunday driving :-)

I walked about a mile to school from the first grade through high
school and so did all the other kids that lived inside the "precinct"
as riding a bike or driving a car was forbidden. The bike, I think, to
preclude any stolen bicycle problems, and the cars as there was no
parking space.

School girls were forbidden to wear slacks in school and on cold
winter days I remember seeing the girls walking to school with baggy,
wool, "ski pants" on under their skirts which they took off after they
got to school.

Strangely enough we didn't think we were deprived of our rights or
being mistreated, after all "big people" walked to work. My father
normally walked to work in good weather and only drove or had my
mother drive him in bad weather.

And, you know? I don't remember any "fat people" from back in those
days either.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old December 19th 20, 02:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
News 2020

On Fri, 18 Dec 2020 19:26:24 -0600, AMuzi wrote:

On 12/18/2020 6:51 PM, News 2020 wrote:
On Fri, 18 Dec 2020 09:50:42 -0800, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

On Fri, 18 Dec 2020 13:14:59 -0000 (UTC), News 2020
wrote:

On Fri, 18 Dec 2020 00:01:22 -0800, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

Deja Vu. Rungu:
https://riderungu.com
https://www.google.com/search?q=rungu&tbm=isch
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=rungu
Unlike Ascendu, it's not designed for climbing vertical walls.
Rundu has electric assist and is designed for hunting:

Deer Hunting with the Rungu Electric Juggernaut
https://huntinglife.com/deer-hunting...ungu-electric-
juggernaut/
The text mentions that the Rungu is quiet. However, it appears to
be quite noisy in this video:
Rungu Electric Juggernaut MDV Review https://youtu.be/orXJI28nCp8

Apart from the squeak in the head stem, the rattle is the deer
trailer attachment.

I played it again and you're right. The noise seems to be coming from
the trailer dragging something on the ground. That begs the question
how the prospective hunter is going to carry the trailer on his way to
stalking the deer? He might disassemble the trailer and carry it in
pieces on his trike rack or in his back pack. However, if he tows it
behind the tricycle, it's going to be quite noisy. In the commentary
he mentioned that he shot the doe, walked back to the trike, and then
brought in the trike and deer trailer. Still, the combination makes
less noise than a gasoline powered ATV.

Incidentally, the average field dressed adult doe weighs about 100 lbs
(45 kg).
https://www.pgc.pa.gov/Wildlife/Wild...te-tailedDeer/

Pages/
DeerWeightChart.aspx
That's quite a bit do be dragging behind a tricycle, even with
electric assist. Note that in the video, the trike approached the
camera downhill.

You definitely need a properly built two wheel trailer for that and not
the shopping trolley design, plus your trailer attachment should be at
axle level and not up at seat post level where it can throw the bike.

Hmm, perhaps I should link in the ewetube video I watched about
converting a cheap rear box trailer trike to electric assist. That
would be a lot more useful on this occassion, although I did wonder
about the 'grubscrew' that obviously holds the rear axles drive onto
the rear drive axle.

No need. That's been done, well, already:
https://www.raleighusa.com/tristar-ie-4668

Yes, that one looks good for the shopping basket brigade.
Thaty one looked like a very large tin tray and might take cage of hens
or pig to market.

Old December 19th 20, 02:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
News 2020

[...]

So much for felt and similar.

I thought A) There's certainly no rabbit shortage. B) Is it better for
the rabbit to go the way of the possum in our back yard four days ago? I
looked out and saw a Red Tailed Hawk calmly sitting on him, waiting for
him to die. He ultimately became brunch. (For the hawk, not me. Didn't
look appetizing.)

Not to mention the starvation inflicted on our native animals when
Australia suffered from rabbit plague.

Obviously she hasn't seen Night of the Lepus.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069005/

Old December 19th 20, 03:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

News 2020 wrote:
[...]

Rabbits??? Two ounces of meat held together by 300 pointy little bones?
Give me a steak, please.

Old December 19th 20, 10:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
News 2020

On Sat, 19 Dec 2020 03:33:10 +0000, Ralph Barone wrote:

News 2020 wrote:
[...]

Have you every tried carrying a beef beast on your bicycle?
Rabbits are a damm side easier (VBG) and farmers never object when you
catch one on their land.

Old December 19th 20, 03:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

News 2020 wrote:
[...]

I subcontract that entire portion of the food chain, so I don’t care how
much a cow weighs.

Johann's non-answer answer Howard Kveck Racing 12 April 27th 07 06:25 AM
WA's answer to the TdF SteveA Australia 8 July 29th 05 03:31 PM
Answer Dane Jackson General 0 July 15th 05 04:29 PM
Answer Steady Rollin' Man Racing 1 July 15th 05 04:11 AM
Do you know the answer? ACP Australia 7 July 13th 05 08:25 AM