"An Amazing[ly Stupid] Mountain Biker Is Dead"

Old March 7th 09, 04:45 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman

Default "An Amazing[ly Stupid] Mountain Biker Is Dead"

Evolution at work....

Mike

http://bikeintelligencer.wordpress.c...biker-is-dead/

An Amazing Mountain Biker Is Dead

March 6, 2009 at 8:11 pm

We may never know what really happened in the case of Sam Brown, a
daredevilish Dylanesque kid with an impish smile from Revelstoke B.C.
who apparently hanged himself last week in a Spokane jail after being
arrested on a marijuana charge. What we do know is that a guy who
could ride like an angel somehow descended to the depths of hell in a
few short days.

Mountain biking video fans will remember the Disconstructed Wheel
featured in New World Disorder III seven years ago. Nicknamed the
hamster wheel, it was a huge interrupted wooden wheel you actually
spun by riding before exiting onto a bridge and a standstill wheelie
drop. Sam Brown built it (his dad reportedly put the hub together) and
the first time you watched it, you were not entirely sure it wasn’t a
fake. But Brown could ride skinnies on one wheel, do bone-rattling
drops, build world-class trails like The Monster in Kaslo B.C. and
perform all kinds of other stunts you and I only dream about.

That was when he was a teenager. Last week Sam Brown, now 24,
evidently stole a helicopter, loaded it with 350 pounds of marijuana
and flew in the dead of a truly fiendish night to a fateful meeting
with undercover DEA cops. He was arrested in the Colville National
Forest and jailed in Spokane on Feb. 23. Four days later he was found
hanged by a bedsheet in his cell.

What a shame. For a time everyone knew Sam Brown in the mountain
biking world, his name was famous, his work admired, his reputation
renowned. He seemed to have it all. Hopefully someone will pursue his
story for a clarification of what actually happened, how he traveled
down the road he did. In the meantime we’re left to shake our heads
over a tragedy so unnecessary, especially when you consider the cause.
Marijuana is just as needless a thing to fight a war on drugs over as
it is to lose a life for. Sam may have felt he let everyone down. With
a little time and reaching out, he would have learned that was never
the case.

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
Old March 8th 09, 02:33 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Beej Jorgensen

Mike Vandeman wrote:
Evolution at work....
An Amazing Mountain Biker Is Dead
[...]Four days later he was found hanged by a bedsheet in his cell.

Thank God you're not on my side, Mike.

-Beej

Old March 8th 09, 08:16 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Chris[_12_]

Another case of a story with no relation between one unfortunate event
and mountain bikes from Mike V.

No eveolutiuon at all, just Mike being his usual cold-hearted self.

Chris
Old March 8th 09, 06:38 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Mike Vandeman

On Sun, 8 Mar 2009 02:33:48 +0000 (UTC), Beej Jorgensen
wrote:

Mike Vandeman wrote:
Evolution at work....
An Amazing Mountain Biker Is Dead
[...]Four days later he was found hanged by a bedsheet in his cell.

Thank God you're not on my side, Mike.

I AM on your side. I'm protecting you from making similar mistakes.

-Beej

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
Old March 8th 09, 06:41 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman

On Sun, 8 Mar 2009 00:16:05 -0800 (PST), Chris
wrote:

Another case of a story with no relation between one unfortunate event

It wasn't an "unfortunate event". It was a deliberate act by a typical
CRIMINAL mountain biker.

and mountain bikes from Mike V.

BS. It shows what mountain bikers are like: CRIMINALS.

No eveolutiuon at all, just Mike being his usual cold-hearted self.

Is the media being cold-hearted whrn they publish these articles? All
I did was re-publish it. HYPOCRITE.

Chris

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
Old March 8th 09, 07:11 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Opus[_2_]

On Mar 8, 6:41 pm, Mike Vandeman wrote:

Mike forgot about this and kept his to his head constantly.

Hey Mikey, how about this for logic, using the same train of thought
as your posts:

I was hit by a city pickup truck driven by a city employee, and the
police in the same city covered it up and said they never IDed the
truck. The also destroyed the physical evidence including the bits of
the truck removed from my body and claimed a truck striking a
bicyclist at 65 MPH would not have been damaged.

Ergo all city employees are criminals including the police. Does this
follow, or is it a case of over-generalization?
Old March 8th 09, 09:06 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Beej Jorgensen

Mike Vandeman wrote:
Beej Jorgensen
Thank God you're not on my side, Mike.

I AM on your side.

It's funny that you're right, but in a quite ironic way.

-Beej

Old March 9th 09, 12:01 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman

On Sun, 8 Mar 2009 12:11:09 -0700 (PDT), Opus
wrote:

On Mar 8, 6:41 pm, Mike Vandeman wrote:

Mike forgot about this and kept his to his head constantly.

Hey Mikey, how about this for logic, using the same train of thought
as your posts:

I was hit by a city pickup truck driven by a city employee, and the
police in the same city covered it up and said they never IDed the
truck. The also destroyed the physical evidence including the bits of
the truck removed from my body and claimed a truck striking a
bicyclist at 65 MPH would not have been damaged.

Ergo all city employees are criminals including the police. Does this
follow, or is it a case of over-generalization?

The latter. My posts are based on EVIDENCE.

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
Old March 9th 09, 11:44 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Kayak44

wrote:

On Mar 8, 6:41 pm, Mike Vandeman wrote:

Mike forgot about this and kept his to his head constantly.

Hey Mikey, how about this for logic, using the same train of thought
as your posts:

I was hit by a city pickup truck driven by a city employee, and the
police in the same city covered it up and said they never IDed the
truck. The also destroyed the physical evidence including the bits of
the truck removed from my body and claimed a truck striking a
bicyclist at 65 MPH would not have been damaged.

Ergo all city employees are criminals including the police. Does this
follow, or is it a case of over-generalization?

The latter. My posts are based on EVIDENCE.

Liar.

You haven't the balls to take on a real environmental problem. You are
nothing more than a glory whore.

Old March 14th 09, 01:50 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Jody[_2_]

wrote:

On Mar 8, 6:41 pm, Mike Vandeman wrote:

Mike forgot about this and kept his to his head constantly.

Hey Mikey, how about this for logic, using the same train of thought
as your posts:

I was hit by a city pickup truck driven by a city employee, and the
police in the same city covered it up and said they never IDed the
truck. The also destroyed the physical evidence including the bits of
the truck removed from my body and claimed a truck striking a
bicyclist at 65 MPH would not have been damaged.

Ergo all city employees are criminals including the police. Does this
follow, or is it a case of over-generalization?

The latter. My posts are based on EVIDENCE.

Liar.

You haven't the balls to take on a real environmental problem. You are
nothing more than a glory whore.- Hide quoted text -

Sam Brown was my friend. He is an ordinary criminal like he was an
ordinary rider and trail builder. Anyone who would call Sam ordinary
is a lacklustre coward without the balls or imagination to do anything
with themselves except try to drag others down to make themselves feel
better about their own innane mediocrity. Read the article, he flew a
helicopter through a night storm to a remote clearing in a forest
alone, successfully. He was my friend and an amazing man, and just
plain incredibly capable. I really can't stand reading about all you
self righteous do nothing know nothing idiots flaming him online. If
you really think that marijuana is all that bad, go post on some
conservative or police website or go join crime stoppers or
something. Rest In Peace, Sam.