15mm Road patches

Old May 15th 11, 05:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David White[_2_]

Default 15mm Road patches

Tom Lake wrote:
I'm trying to find a source for 15mm tube patches. The only ones I
see in the US are 25mm.

I see a kit marketed in Australia called a "Thumbe Up Patch Kit"

http://www.getprice.com.au/thumbs-up...--45124351.htm

However, I don't see it available North of New Zealand. That looks
like a good deal! 128 patches in the box!!!

Has anybody seen that or a similar product in the US?

Anyone ever use these
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BMUB38/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=ADIKZAFTSWMNW?
They are shown as 25mm and hence too large for the O.P. But I was
wondering about them. So let me know your experience. Thanks
Old May 15th 11, 09:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Tom Lake wrote:
I'm trying to find a source for 15mm tube patches. The only ones I
see in the US are 25mm.

I see a kit marketed in Australia called a "Thumbe Up Patch Kit"

http://www.getprice.com.au/thumbs-up...--45124351.htm

However, I don't see it available North of New Zealand. That looks
like a good deal! 128 patches in the box!!!

Has anybody seen that or a similar product in the US?

Rema #4 kit has patches 15mm on the black part, about 18mm
inlcuding the red part, about $2 virtually everywhere.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old May 15th 11, 10:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On May 15, 5:09*pm, Tom Lake wrote:
On Sun, 15 May 2011 08:10:38 -0700 (PDT), in rec.bicycles.tech

landotter wrote:
I just cut the 25mm patches into fourths.

I have tried that; however, I had less than an astonishingly
successful experience.

Get a patch sheet with matching patch cement and use naill scissors to
cut tiny patches. alternatively you may hope for bigger punctures.
Old May 16th 11, 04:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Lake

On Sun, 15 May 2011 14:45:53 -0700 (PDT), in rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six wrote:

Get a patch sheet with matching patch cement and use naill scissors to
cut tiny patches. alternatively you may hope for bigger punctures.

I've tried the precision cut. The tire patches are feathered at the
edges. *My* experience has been that, once I cut them, they didn't
work. Your milage may well vary, of course.

On a different note, I'm getting a cronic flat on my deep-well fixie.
It acts like a rim strip; however, I can't see any issues there. Do
rim strips have a life span?

Old May 16th 11, 05:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

thirty-six wrote:
Get a patch sheet with matching patch cement and use naill scissors to
cut tiny patches. *alternatively you may hope for bigger punctures.

I've tried the precision cut. *The tire patches are feathered at the
edges. **My* experience has been that, once I cut them, they didn't
work. *Your milage may well vary, of course.

Buy the sheet meant to be cut, not the patches of varying thickness.
I think Velox do them, whose little patches work very well also,
without feathered edges. You will probably need to look towards a
racing equipment trader for the Velox as they are the only supplier of
tubular repair kits which is how I know about their patches. Sheet
(in UK) is also available under the Weldtite brand. I've split a tube
once on the road and it is for this reason I have felt safer carrying
the sheet material. Unfortunately it is not commonly available.

On a different note, I'm getting a cronic flat on my deep-well fixie.
It acts like a rim strip; however, I can't see any issues there. *Do
rim strips have a life span?

Only if you rip them off. If the adhesive fails you can stick them
back down with latex. Non stuck tapes can slide allowing the tube to
pass underneath.

Old May 16th 11, 05:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

thirty-six wrote:
Get a patch sheet with matching patch cement and use naill scissors to
cut tiny patches. *alternatively you may hope for bigger punctures.

I've tried the precision cut. *The tire patches are feathered at the
edges. **My* experience has been that, once I cut them, they didn't
work. *Your milage may well vary, of course.

On a different note, I'm getting a cronic flat on my deep-well fixie.
It acts like a rim strip; however, I can't see any issues there. *Do
rim strips have a life span?

Not really. The plastic ones, which I usually prefer for their non-
fussiness, can sometimes not fit properly or have a sharp edge on
their heat welded seam.
Old May 17th 11, 04:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Lake

On Mon, 16 May 2011 09:13:58 -0700 (PDT), in rec.bicycles.tech
landotter wrote:

Not really. The plastic ones, which I usually prefer for their non-
fussiness, can sometimes not fit properly or have a sharp edge on
their heat welded seam.

Well, I've had my rim strips for a year or so and I'm suddenly popping
tubes like a package of microwave popcorn. I don't *see* any rim
strip issues... it's kinda bulged at the spoke holes... a little,
maybe.

I get tiny holes on the inside... it looks like they're inside,
anyway... little pin pricks, they are... WTFs going on here?

Old May 18th 11, 12:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

landotter wrote:
Not really. The plastic ones, which I usually prefer for their non-
fussiness, can sometimes not fit properly or have a sharp edge on
their heat welded seam.

Well, I've had my rim strips for a year or so and I'm suddenly popping
tubes like a package of microwave popcorn. *I don't *see* any rim
strip issues... it's kinda bulged at the spoke holes... a little,
maybe.

I get tiny holes on the inside... it looks like they're inside,
anyway... little pin pricks, they are... WTFs going on here?

You're using tyre levers? If so, only use them to remove the tyre and
be careful. Also check there are no sharp bits on the levers. If
it's a hard plastic rim tape, and you are using high pressures, check
that the tape has not split over the rim's holes. Check for thorns
with a mostlly deflated tyre and roll it between your fingers (I'm
assuming it's a thin tread). Get some French chalk or talc to aid
your tyre fitting without levers.
Old May 19th 11, 01:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Lake

On Tue, 17 May 2011 16:56:37 -0700 (PDT), in rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six wrote:

You're using tyre levers? If so, only use them to remove the tyre and
be careful. Also check there are no sharp bits on the levers. If
it's a hard plastic rim tape, and you are using high pressures, check
that the tape has not split over the rim's holes. Check for thorns
with a mostlly deflated tyre and roll it between your fingers (I'm
assuming it's a thin tread). Get some French chalk or talc to aid
your tyre fitting without levers.

Yeah, I *finally* found it. It was such a tiny sliver of steel that
you needed a glass to see it.

15mm or 9/16" pedals? Graham Ashton UK 7 March 18th 08 06:16 PM
dude rode a 15mm wheel chosen Unicycling 9 January 26th 06 02:06 AM
APure Herbal Needed for Vitiligo white patches who will help me to get rid of white patches from my skin [email protected] Unicycling 1 April 3rd 05 03:28 PM
APure Herbal Needed for Vitiligo white patches who will help me to get rid of white patches from my skin Bill Marketplace 0 March 27th 05 07:50 PM
How to remove cranks with 15mm bolts J.V. Techniques 8 August 24th 04 04:20 AM