Speed: LWB vs SWB

Old August 15th 03, 02:01 PM
EZ Biker :-\)

Default Speed: LWB vs SWB

Jim, I've had the same experience coming from my TE and GRR Polished Alum to
a Vision R-40, R-45 and P-38. On my Easy Racer I just PLOP down and ride;
but with a SWB, I feel like I'm climbing into a cockpit and having to
arrange myself and then get underway, in a more focused or attentive way. I
think this time though, I'll be sure and give myself plenty of ride and
experience time on my Aero. There's something about Bacchetta Bikes, that
just makes it FUN to ride them.
EZ Biker :-) Pompano Beach, Fl. (GRR Ti and SOON, Bacchetta Aero Pilot)

"stratrider" wrote in message
m...
Robert, I bought my Strada with the M5 seat about two months ago. I
decided that I had to buy a high racer and ride it alot before making
a final judgement on that style of bike.

Old August 15th 03, 02:05 PM
EZ Biker :-\)

Don I still believe a Rans Tailwind, with a 26 / 20 wheel setup could offer
the potential of a good performance bike. Throw in a Ti version and you
could probably have something that could run with various other bike groups;
(SWB's and LWB's) not to mention being WAY COOL Looking TOO.
EZ Biker :-) Pompano Beach, Fl. (GRR Ti and SOON, Bacchetta Aero Pilot)

"Don" wrote in message
om...
Ed, I concur with your prediction. I think someone will eventually
dial in a CLWB with improved geometry, better components, and lighter
weight.

Old August 15th 03, 06:19 PM
cbb

If you feel the need for speed then go low. Even if you are not faster
on a lowracer than on the Aero (unless you climb lots most likely you
will be) you will feel faster laid back that far flying inches off the
ground.
Hiracers are great platforms, I have a Strada for commuting, but I
feel that lowracers work better for going fast. If your looking for a
bike to climb lots of hills, hang with a DF paceline or even hilly
brevets the highracer works very well.

"EZ Biker :-\)" wrote in message news:qV4%a.116198$cF.32599@rwcrnsc53...
joeg, that's what I have the NEED for....... REAL RAW SPEED!!!
EZ Biker :-) Pompano Beach, Fl. (GRR Ti and SOON, Bacchetta Aero Pilot)

"joeg" wrote in message
But the Aero sure has the raw speed.

Old August 16th 03, 12:16 AM
GeoB

I agree that some bikes are inherently faster due
to design than others.

I have a SWB R40. I ride with another old coot who has an expensive
DF, a Kestrel, and rides *really fast* compared to me. He completed
the Climb to Kaiser (14,500' total climb, 160 miles) 1.5 years after
he got his bike. He rode 5000 miles that year.

When we ride together I expect him to be faster than me. I am getting
faster but not as soon as I had expected. I am still a newbie I
guess, 1900 total 'bent miles.

The Question
The real question I have been wondering about is... WHY can he pedal
only once in a while, and coast, while I am stroking away constantly?
I hear that blame Campy freewheel chattering lots more than I hear/see
him pedaling. What exactly makes the difference? Lots of things, I
know. But this is a giant difference! Is it tires? Do taller tire
really make a big difference? Higher pressure? Is it better bearings?
Maybe the aerodynamic CF frame! :-)
Old August 16th 03, 02:48 AM
JoeG

I guess the scales at the bikeshops I've weighed it at just weigh heavy.
I'd love to replace the RANS flutes on the back with some carbon or titanium
stays - but I'm finding that I keep having to fiddle with the positioning
adjustment - I'm the same way on upright bikes - over the course of a season
my seat height will vary a centimeter or so - don't know why this is.

Anyway, the Aero is a rockin' bike for sure, and the GRR also. Hard to
imagine that it gets much better than this.

"Zach Kaplan Cycles" wrote in message
m...
On my very accurate digital scale my size large Aero complete with
pedals weighs 10.5 kg (23 lbs. 2 oz.). The claimed weight for a stock
Aero is 22 lbs. but that would be for a standard size one. I'm using
some lighter parts than stock such as a Reynolds fork, SRAM PC-89R
hollow pin chain and lighter version of the FSA crankset but am also
using some heavier parts than stock like HED Jet 559mm wheels with
27mm actual width Schwalbe Stelvio tyres. I think if I put very
lightweight (but less aero) 571mm wheels on with 23mm tyres the weight
would drop down to about 21.5 lbs. It seems like there are plenty of
ways the Aero could be made lighter such as carbon fibre seat stays
and a one piece carbon fibre steering riser-handlebar. Still I climb
faster on it than any of my other recumbents and it makes the
difference between getting passed by certain people on climbs on club
rides or passing them. I also have a Gold Rush. I always run mine with
the body sock fairing and the Aero is slightly slower than it on level
ground and descents but the climbing advantage of the Aero more than
makes up for that as I ride in very hilly terrain so a large
percentage of my riding time is spent climbing. The two bikes
complement each other nicely. Last Saturday I did a 135 km club ride
with 1370 metres of climbing on my Gold Rush with a 25.6 km/h average
rolling speed. The following day I rode the Aero on a 98 km club ride
withh 1025 metres climbing and had a 29 km/h average speed.

Zach Kaplan

"joeg" wrote in message

I think the 21-22-23 lb. spec for the Aero might be a tad optimistic - I
have yet to get it to weigh under 24 lbs. on any of the bikeshop scales

I've
tried. That's after replacing with a lighter fork and lighter wheels.

Of
course, maybe the shops I frequent just have scales that weigh a little
heavy. I see quotes for roadbikes in the 16 lb. range. My
Record-equipped Colnago C40 weighs 18 lbs with Spinergy Xaero wheels, so
take that as a baseline.

It's pretty daggonned light. If it were much lighter I wouldn't feel

safe
on it - so I have no complaints - no need to lighten it any further.

I have a Fold Rush, a Gold Rush, and an Aero. The Aero will be a

little
faster, but it won't replace your Gold Rush. I think the Gold Rush is
pretty close to being the perfect bike. Don't get me wrong, the Aero

is
wonderful, and will make you feel like your legs are 10 years younger,
but....well, you already know what I mean about the Gold Rush, because

you
have one.

But the Aero sure has the raw speed.

"EZ Biker :-)" wrote in message
Well Robert, I'll be testing your views probably in about a week or

so,
when
my Aero arrives, at Bike Spot. I'm VERY Dialed in (And LOVE and won't

be
parting with) my GRR Ti, BUT just want to really give a SWB, sub 23 lb

bike
a try. I also want to ride a bike without the use of a fairing too.

Although
I've tried my GRR Ti with out the fairing and it seemed lacking. It

just
works better with a fairing)
So once my Aero arrives, I'll be posting some feedback on it, vs. my

GRR
Ti.
The High Front BB will be an immediate challenge, as I'm at least a 5+

year
front (Easy Racer) LOW BB kind of cyclist.
EZ Biker :-) Pompano Beach, Fl. (GRR Ti and SOON, Bacchetta Aero

Pilot)

"Robert Siegel" wrote in message
Jude is a very smart, very knowledgeable recumbent person who also is

serious recumbent rider. He
rides an Aero a LOT and his concerns about the Bacchetta design

reflect
mine
EXACTLY. IMHO, his comments apply to all two-big-wheel (26/26)

recumbents,
although less to the Vision R-65 than to the Aero/Corsa.

Old August 16th 03, 08:01 PM
EZ Biker :-\)

cbb, I actually had an M5 low racer for a couple of months. Nice bike, great
speed, BUT TOO LOW for the in city streets here in South Florida, that I
ride. Nearly got run over 4+ times, on one particular ride, going down A1A.
EZ Biker :-) Pompano Beach, Fl. (GRR Ti and SOON, Bacchetta Aero Pilot)

"cbb" wrote in message
om...
If you feel the need for speed then go low.

Old August 16th 03, 08:01 PM
EZ Biker :-\)

cbb, I actually had an M5 low racer for a couple of months. Nice bike, great
speed, BUT TOO LOW for the in city streets here in South Florida, that I
ride. Nearly got run over 4+ times, on one particular ride, going down A1A.
EZ Biker :-) Pompano Beach, Fl. (GRR Ti and SOON, Bacchetta Aero Pilot)

"cbb" wrote in message
om...
If you feel the need for speed then go low.

Old August 16th 03, 10:03 PM
Don

EZ, That would NOT do it for me. Seat is already too high with 20/20
wheels. The BB is also--I am planning for my old age. I know that
when I sat on a GRR it felt so right. Of course, when I rode it, it
felt so (wrong)long and ornery. I opted for a Giro instead. Someday
some company (maybe a brand new company) will make a quality mid or
CLB that can rival a GRR in performance but be shorter than a school
bus.

Old August 16th 03, 10:39 PM
EZ Biker :-\)

Don, Rans HAS the potential for such a performance bike, (26/20 Ti Tailwind)
BUT... Well I don't want to insult any Church Of Rans Parishioners out
there.
EZ Biker :-) Pompano Beach, Fl. (GRR Ti and SOON, Bacchetta Aero Pilot)

om...